Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help....machine going out of window...!!! >

Please help....machine going out of window...!!!

Please help....machine going out of window...!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 PM

can you adjust the presser foot height or the pressure
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 PM

OK - hope these pic's help. All pics were taken with the presser foot in the up position (1st position up - not full up). And yes, my foot says P2 on the back.

Pictured from the rear of the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233538[/ATTACH]

Pictured from the front of the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233539[/ATTACH]

From the front and a little to the side. You can see the bar that is over the needle screw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233541[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233532.jpe   attachment-233533.jpe   attachment-233535.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Is this the foot you're trying to use? http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Embroid.../dp/B0042ICC7K

If so don't use that in your 6600...that's only for embroidery machines, not the sewing machine! It's the foot that my Janome 350e uses...I just went to look and sure enough there is the P stamped right above the open space in the foot! Not the one you want!

Did you buy your machine used? It's possible someone mixed up the feet. If you bought it new from a dealer it should have the P2 foot in the box with all the other presser feet too.

Edit: DogHouseMom your pictures are MUCH better than mine! My camera is old and my photography-fu is not so strong :mrgreen:
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 PM

can you adjust the presser foot height or the pressure
Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 AM

I have the 6600 and my FMQ foot is the P-2. I haven't had any problems
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 AM

Open your operators manual, and find the free motion quilting section, after checking your settings, try it again, you can DO THIS!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Thanks ladies....I think my problem is attaching the foot.
I free machine fine on my Pfaff, but the idea of the 6600 was to replace it...the foot just doesn't seem to be gripped by the screw...what am I doing wrong someone....any who had a photo of how this foot attaches and I'll swim the ocean and hug them....well maybe not but I really would be happy !
Maybe the foot is not adaptable to the Janome machine. I also have a Janome - mine does not have a model # but is called,
"Sew Perfect" - I've only had it a couple of years.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM

I have a Janome 6600P and the P-2 is the foot I use for FMQ. Be sure your feed dogs are DOWN. Feed dog control is at the front of the machine at the bottom on the right side. If your machine is in a table, there's a little oval opening at the front where you have to stick your finger to flip the control! Be sure the little "arm" on the P-2 foot is above the needle screw when you attach it. The foot will "float" just above your fabric so YOU control it. It does not sit down on the fabric! Don't give up! This is worth learning!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by amma
FMQ feet do ride up high, unlike the rest of the feet we normally use. This extra space helps to be able to freely move the fabric underneath it :D:D:D
Are you lowering the presser foot?
I have a different machine (Viking). I was told by the rep that the Free Motion Quilting foot should always be touching the fabric, lightly. It should be gently moving up and down with the rythm of the needle going up and down. On my machine, I originally had that same gap. I had the wrong function in the setting. If the fabric is "jumping" even a little, you will get birds nests on the back and other problems. Search "free motion quilting" on You Tube. You will see close ups of machine quilting. Note how the foot is touching the fabric. Since it is new, I would call the dealer, or do a You Tube search with your machine brand. A lot of stores and instructors put stuff up. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 AM

It sounds to me like you are not lowering the presser foot. FM feet do ride a little higher so they can move freely over the quilt but not 1/2 "!!