Cat teeth cleaning?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM

My cat is considered a "senior" seeing as she is 15 or 16 years old. I get her teeth cleaned every other year. She WILL NOT allow me to even try to brush her teeth. The vet sells hard treats that will prevent alot of plaque from building up, and we also give her very little wet food, mostly dry. And that helps. And as Cyn said, they do charge you extra for the bloodwork for going under anethesia, but that is optional.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme
My cat is considered a "senior" seeing as she is 15 or 16 years old. I get her teeth cleaned every other year. She WILL NOT allow me to even try to brush her teeth. The vet sells hard treats that will prevent alot of plaque from building up, and we also give her very little wet food, mostly dry. And that helps. And as Cyn said, they do charge you extra for the bloodwork for going under anethesia, but that is optional.
All my animals get dry food with occasional wet - cats get a wet food treat for Christmas and Thanksgiving, otherwise it's dry.
Same with the dogs.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM

I use Plaque Blaster on my two weenie dogs teeth, started about a month ago. The youngest dog's teeth now look like she just had a cleaning, white as snow, the older dog, well he is a little behind but much better. He almost died from Altitude sickness on a visit last year to Colorado, so I am afraid to have his cleaned because they sedate them to do it, so I gave this a try. It works! They don't love it, but it is quick and easy. They cannot eat for 30 minute following the treatment. The first few weeks you do it three times daily but once they begin to get results, you can go down to once a day. A bottle only lasts one month, they say after that to discard. The first bottle, at three times a day on two dogs was plenty. I purchased 5 bottles when I bought and it came with these little toy critters and they loved those too. I was SO LEARY to order, afraid it was a gimick, but it is not. It works!!!
Michelle
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews
I use Plaque Blaster on my two weenie dogs teeth, started about a month ago. The youngest dog's teeth now look like she just had a cleaning, white as snow, the older dog, well he is a little behind but much better. He almost died from Altitude sickness on a visit last year to Colorado, so I am afraid to have his cleaned because they sedate them to do it, so I gave this a try. It works! They don't love it, but it is quick and easy. They cannot eat for 30 minute following the treatment. The first few weeks you do it three times daily but once they begin to get results, you can go down to once a day. A bottle only lasts one month, they say after that to discard. The first bottle, at three times a day on two dogs was plenty. I purchased 5 bottles when I bought and it came with these little toy critters and they loved those too. I was SO LEARY to order, afraid it was a gimick, but it is not. It works!!!
Michelle
Thanks will get some and give it a try
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM

I have always had my cats' teeth cleaned over 40 years as a cat owner. Never had a problem. They need dentistry to stay healthy just as we do.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

I used to be a veterinary technician at a cat only clinic for a 4 years. There are a number of reasons to have teeth cleaned in animals of any kind. Plaque causes tooth decay just like in people. Plaque in cats can eventually lead to kindey failure once it spreads into the blood stream. The price your veterinarian quoted sounds about right but ask in advance about extras. Ask if you pet will get an injectible or inhaled anesthetic. Injectibles filter thru the animals organs where inhaled do not. Isoflourine or sevoflorine are usualy used. They wear off much quicker and are much safer for elderly animals. If your cat is over 10 ask if the price includes blood test prior to anesthetics to check for any possible issues. Also ask if there are extractions how much extra will that cost and looking at teeth does he foresee that may be necessary. And many techs forget to tell clients - make sure your cat gets no food or water after midnight the prior day. It's hard casue cats will drive you crazy but a cat that vomits during the procedure could easiy die.

If you have any concerns at all you should be able to discuss them with you vet yet I've seem many that don't feel the need to discuss with owners like we would people. If your vet is like that - get a new one. Your vet may be suggesting to do now as once the get 12+ anesthetic procedures are not recommended except for urgent care.

Sorry my answer was so long. I think dental care in animals is as important as people.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM

grain free and we kept him off insulin until he left us at age 18!
--------------------------------------
This makes me ask myself just why on earth am I feeding my CATS grains? I'm going to look at their diets closer...no cats I've seen have EVER, in their lives, hunted for grains. It's lots cheaper than meats, but cats evolved eating meats.

Due to money concerns, most folks can feed their cats commercial foods, but those with lots of money to spend on their fur babies (wish I did) can feed them a more natural diet.

I no longer fish..perhaps I should start again, no longer hunt..well, not likely to start again, gotta go to PetSmart and see what they have like that. Did get some kibble made from Ducks..one cat loved it and the other acted like I was feeding her rat poison!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
--------------------------------------
This makes me ask myself just why on earth am I feeding my CATS grains? I'm going to look at their diets closer...no cats I've seen have EVER, in their lives, hunted for grains. It's lots cheaper than meats, but cats evolved eating meats.

!!
Wild carnvores (both feline and canine) eat their prey's stomach and stomach contents which usually contain vegetable matter and grains. So evolution does dictate a certain amount of grains in their diets. Cats use less than dogs. Your general assessment is that grains are used as fillers and cheaper is most assuredly correct. There are good premium foods available on the market that the primary ingredients are protien sources not grain sources. Read the ingredient labels and watch for known deceptive tricks like listing corn then a few ingredients down listing corn gluten. Same if they list chicken first instead of chicken meal. To get chicken in the state it is needed to make kibble by the time they are dehydrating it down it would more than likely be the 5th or 6th ingredient by content. If you can get your cat to eat them, raw chicken neck bones, as litacats mentioned, do wonders for dental care.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM

cats unlike dogs cannot digest vegetables they do not have the enzime in the gut for this. the only way they can digest vegetables in the wild is eating prey that lives on vegetables by eating the contents of the gut the enzime has already started to digest the veg's therefore they can now digest it. I have 20 cats and hardly ever have teeth problems, they are fed a raw diet including chicken necks to help with the teeth cleaning. if anyone is interested google raw cat and have a look at the website, it is very interesting.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Ask the dentist how many cats die from being put under compared to how many cats get abcesses!!! I've had cats for years -- never had it done either. Never had it done to my dogs either. I believe it's a money-grabber thing with vets now.