Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your scraps? >

what do you do with your scraps?

what do you do with your scraps?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

I collect my scraps and make scrappy quilts from my scraps, (currently have 6 patterns I'm itching to get to making. But I have 4 quilts needing done before I can start these projects. I also get scraps from my guild and add to that pile and complete quilt tops and then donate these tops.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM

I've been saving my scraps as well as ones from a couple other people. Just started using some of them on the scrappy mystery train ride. Am saving a bunch of the vintage ones to do a Double Wedding Ring.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM

I just completed a crumb quilt...from start to finish. I posted it in my album...also in the pictures.

I also have another crumb quilt top I made a few years ago, but needs a final border. I also did a little 4-patch quilt from scraps...I just now thought to add it to my photo album here.

Here is the other crumb quilt top...definitely needs a final border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]404955[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3273_1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Scherr View Post
I was wondering if any of the ladies that belong to guilds if they combine their scraps and make quilts or exchange scraps with their guild members. I was thinking that maybe if we combined our scraps we could make a few quilts for charities. Just wanted to know if any other guilds do this? I really hate to throw these scraps away I have 2 huge boxes .
Don't throw them away! Many people use them up...but so can you. If you have 2 huge boxes, then (unless your definition of "huge" is quite a bit different than mine) you have enough to make several quilt tops.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM

I don't throw any of the scraps away. I am in a couple of swaps for 1.5", 2.5", and scraps. It is tons of fun cutting the pieces, and swaping them with others. Mariposa is doing the 1.5", and SheriR is doing the 2.5".. Both are still open, so if anyone wants to join,, please do.. If you feel the need to get rid of any, please let me know.. There are a bunch of us that would be more than happy to take them off your hands for the postage.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM

I do a lot of "sew and flip", which for me is an ideal use of scraps.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM

I make more quilts with them.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM

I don't have many yet but love to make crumb blocks out of them.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Sarah in Brooklyn, Here are the instructions that I got off a site, unfortunately, I don't know the site, but this is how I do it. I edited the pics out but if you would like pics, PM me and I'm send them to you.

Keep in mind that these are functional, they are not pretty! I use any fabric that I get free and I don't care at all about thread color, shape or accuracy.
For the pet bed you need:
• some remnant heavy fabric. Decorator fabrics are great
• thread - not your Masterpiece or Bottom Line. Heavier threads are better and this is a great time to use up partial bobbins. I do not worry about thread colors. Dogs are color blind.
• stuffing: chopped up batting and fabric, fleece and stuffing from old bed pillows. Stuffing from bed pillows helps to keep the weight somewhat under control. I cut up the batting and fleece bits into something close to 2" chunks.
I chop up batting as soon as I trim a quilt and store it in a bag
I make my dog beds large since most shelter dogs are large dogs. If I fold the fabric on the diagonal and cut near that folded edge I wind up with a dog bed that is about 26" square. You can make them any size you want.
Fold the fabric right sides together and stitch two sides closed, leaving one edge open. I don't worry about seam allowance but usually make it a bit wider than 1/4". Turn the bed right side out.
For a 26" dog bed, I create 3 stuffing channels. To create the channels, stitch 2 seams through both layers perpendicular to the open edge. They are illustrated here by the 2 green lines. Stitch these from the bottom of the bed and STOP about 1" FROM THE TOP EDGE.
Draw two line across the width of the pet bed, parallel to the open edge. I spaced them about 8.5" apart on a 26" bed. These are sewing guidelines to create the stuffed cells.
Grab fist fulls of stuffing and start stuffing the channels. Do them one at a time and only stuff to that first drawn line. Stuff them VERY FULL, I learned that they flatten out a lot if they are not stuffed really tight.
Pin the channel closed as you stuff it. You can see in this photo how tight the bed is stuffed. I usually pin the corners of the cell first and keep stuffing as I pin toward the center of the cell. The other thing to keep in mind is the direction of your pins. I sew with the stuffed part to the left of my needle and pin so that I can pull out the pins as I sew.
Sewing these required an good bit of man-handling. Just take your time and try to shift the stuffing out of the way of the presser foot as you go. The fabric will occasionally pleat and I don't worry about that at all.

Here's the first section of cells stitched. Fill and sew the second row of cells next.
The reason that you left the top 1" of the channels unsewn is so that you can fold the top edges to the inside for finishing. Fill this last row in the same way but fold the top edges in about 1/2" and pin the channels closed as you fill the last 3 chambers.
Topstitch the bed closed and you are done! They are pretty heavy but I hear that the dogs love them.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I save every little scrap. LOL If the scrap is less than 1 1/2", I save it and all trimmings, batting included and make pet beds for the local Humane Society.
That's a great idea,also Bonnie Hunter makes great scrap quilts. But I agree combining scraps could be used to make charity quilts.