Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM

I think attitudes like your quilt guild has is why I won't join one. I personally think that machine quilted quilts are just at beautiful as hand quilted. So much time, work and love go into both kinds that it seems so wrong to judge one less than another.

I mainly machine piece and quilt (most STID, very little FMQ) my quilts. I am giving hand piecing and quilting a try and find that I really enjoy it.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM

I was also told a few years ago that my "all machine made quilts" weren't "really" quilts.....who cares call'em what you want blankets, snuggies, lovies....I don't care, I don't make them to win prizes. I make them to be used and loved and washed and dried until they are in tatters and I'm proud to say most of the ones I've given away have been done that way and when they are worn out most come back and want another one....and I'm proud to make them another to love!!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM

If machine quilting isn't first class, then someone needs to tell the magazine editors and quilt pattern makers. I looked at magazines when I shopped today. I think every quilt featured on each cover was machine quilted and one was stitched in the ditch. We all need to happy with works for us!!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Just don't understand why some people have to look down their noses at other people's efforts. I don't particularly want to do art quilts even though they are beautiful. I don't hand piece because I just never had the time. If the snarky ladies make any more comments just nicely say "it's really too bad they never learned how to operate a sewing machine." All of these art forms need to be appreciated for what they are and what they mean to the people who make them.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 PM

I have been a lifelong "handquilter" but I piece when I have to and certainly sew by machine. I make at least ten machine assembled and quilted Linus blankets a month as well as another ten plus that are fleece with a crocheted edge or totally crocheted ones. When it comes to quilts for me or personal gifts etc. I assemble by machine and then handquilt. My favorite quilt is a wholecloth that I can handquilt without having to worry with seams etc. Piecing is s not my strong point so the wholecloth , especially cloth printed to look like piecework is the answer for me. I have seen many machine quilted quilts that are masterpieces and others that are just simple but they got the job done. We are all different, why shouldn't the way we make quilts be different as well?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM

I got a late start at this wonderful craft and if I hand quilted or hand pieced, I'd still be on my first quilt. I have a lot of quilts to make and the faster I can do them, the better I like it. Pay no need to peeps like that. It's all a matter of what YOU want to do, afterall, it's YOUR work of art, NOBODY else's.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM

I love hand quilted quilts. hand or machine pieced dosn't matter. I don't think anything will ever take the place of the old time quilting frame my grandmother, mother, and aunts used. But I also love machine made quilts, too. I piece on the machine and quilt on the machine. I love them all. I get many raves for my quilts. It's all in the name of modern living. Who wants to go back to the horse and buggy days?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

And these folks also wear only hand tooled shoes I assume? Shoes made with a machine would never work.

:P at them all. It's like painting in acrylics, oils or water colors. They are all art. Just different style
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Machine quilting has come a LONG way since it was introduced....from simple patches all the way to beautiful art quilts and whole cloth quilts. Nothing wrong with hand quilting, but there is no way it can match the true artistry in those quilts.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

well if they think that, how lowly are quilts finished on Long Arm machines? sigh. I do wish I could do hand quilting. It is an art. I do agree. But so are other quilters work. No matter how they do theirs.