Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale! >
  • School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale!

• School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 PM

I pour the glue into a small dish and add water to thin it out a bit, and use a 1 inch cheap paint brush to lightly spread on. I don't dry it by using an iron, I leave it overnight to dry and then quilt away. There is always something else to do while waiting for a quilt to dry, so it doesn't bother me.
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM

I used the glue with success many times and since I am an impatient person I ironed it every sinle time. Never a problem with cotton batting and glue. It always washed our just fine. The only time I had a problem was when I used poly batting. The glue looked like it was working at first, but the whole thing came apart when I started quilting it. The glue just did not adhere properly to the poly batting.
    Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM

I use glue sticks and they only need just a quick pressing. Haven't used them on a big quilt yet. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

I must be the only person who dislikes school glue for basting the quilt sandwich. I'll stick with spray adhesive. My time is worth more to me than the little bit of money I would save using school glue and waiting for the glue to dry.
    Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 AM

When I discovered how well Elmers Glue worked, I got carried away - if a little is good, a lot would be better! WRONG! I am making my daughter a QAYG Cheryl Phillips DWR quilt for a wedding gift, so I used the glue to adhere the center squares to the batting. Instructions state to turn under and glue the edges of the square. I put too much glue, so when I needed to adjust some of them, I had to literally pull it apart and trim the fabric and batting. The glue had hardened, so I knew I didn't want to sew over it. Lessons Learned: 1) don't get carried away with glue, and 2) place the square a little bit inside the drawn line. (I'm sure this is as clear as mud if you haven't used this pattern).
    Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM

I am just experiencing something like this now. I am using a cotton/poly blend batting, I found when I applied the glue it would bead, I ignored it and pressed forward, I did iron to dry the glue, and now that I am SITD, it is losing it’s adhesiveness, then complicated with I am learning to use my new Singer 15-91, with monofilament thread, just an over all new experience, so needless to say-- UGH! The learning curve here has been big.
    just sayin’ in mho I am not that impressed with the premium cotton/poly batting that I had heard so many prefer.
    Sorry kind of got off topic, but as a whole I am preferring the glue baste method vs. pinning. Will stick to W/N.
    Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Sorry you ran into this problem - it's so disappointing after the work you put in. Neither the poly batting nor the glue can take too much heat. Perhaps the dark spot is scorching? Maybe some white vinegar will help take it out.
    Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I never press polyester batting period. Once I did and it made a flat hard batting. The polyester melts if it gets too hot.
    Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Thank you all for sharing! I am getting ready to put together queen almost king (got a liitle carried away lol]. I am debating spray or glue. Your experience helps!
    Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 AM

I've had a few problems with the glue basting. The last time I put just a few pins here and there to take the pressure off the glued spots. The pins were easy to remove when I got near them, and it helped. Seems some batts don't take to the glue as well.