301 question

Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
This is from my archives. (See the pdf attached)

I'm pretty sure it originally came from http://thefeatherweight221factory.com/, but I can't find it on his page anymore.
Your pdf is the article I was thinking about. Thanks!
Dayle
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Glad I could help. See? Pack Ratting pays off.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Great site helped me alot except I dropped that tiny, tiny GIB screw 4 times spent half the night trying to find it. Put it in this am.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM

I've totally done that! I even got to the point where I dropped another screw about the same size to see where it landed to give me a fighting chance. The last screw I dropped landed in another machine. Good grief! Took me 2 days to find that one.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
I've totally done that! I even got to the point where I dropped another screw about the same size to see where it landed to give me a fighting chance. The last screw I dropped landed in another machine. Good grief! Took me 2 days to find that one.
I find it helpful to hold the tips of my screwdrivers to a magnetic parts dish. It keeps just enough magnetism to hold those little ones.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
I find it helpful to hold the tips of my screwdrivers to a magnetic parts dish. It keeps just enough magnetism to hold those little ones.
I have a knife magnet on my bench - I am amazed at how many screws it catches. Then there are still some that go in the oddest places.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
Yes, this is a very good tip. Most of my screwdrivers are magnetized, and those that aren't (yet) I have an earth magnet that I stick to them. From time to time though, the screw just doesn't want to stay on the tip of the driver, and those are the ones that travel.

The one I found in the machine, I'd checked the machine twice previous on a "long shot". I was getting desperate though, it was several days past time to vacuum, and I couldn't bear to do it without knowing where the screw was.

Originally Posted by miriam
I have a knife magnet on my bench - I am amazed at how many screws it catches. Then there are still some that go in the oddest places.
That would work really well! It would catch the "sweepers" - the ones that just roll off the desk as you move your hand or whatever. I think it's the bouncers that cause the most lost time. I might just do that, since the knives keep falling off the magnet. I'll get a butcher block and take the knife magnet for the shop.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Harbor freight has a long bar magnet for not too much. Ikea also has one for more money. I doubt if you want to service the newer machines on that bench. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...der-65489.html
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM

I actually used 3 different magnets the first time I lost mine I used the long bar from HF then a small thin bendable one, then even the mag dish pin holder. Went back to the bar one and was going to sweep the entire room if I had too, as I was turning the bar up I noticed that the screw was on there, but stuck around the edge and the pointy end was ALL that I could see. It was evening and even with the lights on (I even put my new headlamp on) not the best lighting. I'm sure glad DH did not come in.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I have magnets all over the place. I won a Futura table in an auction. When DH opened it up it was full of magnets. They only work on one side though. I've given a lot of them away. The GKs love my magnets. They also love my flashlights ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....