Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:44 AM

I started with books from the library, and just kept going.. I still read books, and use You tube.. I have been quilting for over twenty years.. Have never taken a class, and have never used anyone else's pattern..
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board and happy quilting. lots of great advice already given
Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I would buy, or see if your library has "Quilters Academy Vol. 1 Freshman Year: A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking (Quilter's Academy)", by Harriet Hargrave
This is the first of a series of books that takes you thru quilt making. Will get you started on basic skills
http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Acade...rriet+hargrave
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 AM

Welcome from Maryland. I'm excited for you! I can tell you're so eager to get started, and why not! Besides a cutting mat and rotary cutter, do you have an acrylic ruler? Ideally the best one to start with, I believe, is a 6x24 inch one. Since the hobby gets expensive, that size willbe sufficient for many different sized pieces you need to cut.

Another tip, buy the best fabric you can afford. Quilt shop fabric is high quality. You can really feel the difference compared to fabric from Joann or cheap stores. Hold the fabric up to the light and notice the difference in weave and color saturation. I'd practice on cheaper fabric, of course, but once you decide to make something you want to keep or give away, buy good quality. It holds up to washings over the years, doesn't stretch out of shape, and feels so good.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 AM

A lot depends on what kind of quilter you want to be. I am a hand quilter but do a lot of machine quilting for Linus Quilts. A good way to decide on which way you want to quilt is to make two samples and try each method. Place a piece of fabric, half a yard or so down on a flat surface. Lay a piece of batting or a piece of flannel the same size on top of that and then another piece of fabric the same size on top of both of them. Pin it together with either straight pins, safety pins or baste it loosely by hand. Then practice sewing or (quilting) all over it either by hand or with your machine. If doing it by hand it helps if you put it in a frame of some kind. A larger embroidery frame would work. If you want you can draw on the top piece of fabric a design that you can follow. A regular pencil would work or there are lots of different marking tools out there. If you like and or enjoy this process you are ready to be a quilter. I personally like the hand quilting process the best and have made several queen sized white whole cloth quilts. Many others enjoy cutting pieces and sewing them back together before they actually get to the quilting part. I suggest you purchase a yard or so of what I call "cheaters cloth". It is fabric printed to look like a pieced quilt. Layer it and use it to practice your hand or machine quilting on. You can just sew on it anywhere it looks like a seam. I often use that kind of fabric on one of my give away quilts. The average non quilter can't tell it from a pieced quilt. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 AM

Quilting books by Eleanor Burns are very easy to follow and complete. I used one when I first started and did not have any problems. Starting with a simple nine patch would be easy to do and help you with matching seams too. Have fun, you are starting on a wonderful journey!!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Welcome to the QB. If you can sew a garment and follow directions, then you can make a quilt. As above, you will be using a very accurate 1/4 inch seam. Until you can cut pieces accurately from a large piece of fabric - I think you would be wise to buy a jelly roll and use it to make either a plain strip quilt or cut the pieces and make a very simple 9-patch. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM

First ... get to a book store and buy "Quilting for Dummies". Seriously. It's a good book!!

Second ... go here http://quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeB.html and pick a 9" block design that strikes your fancy and make a pot holder. This will teach you: piecing, laying the sandwich, quilting it, and binding it. A whole quilt in a usable size.

Have fun!!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 AM

Good book for beginners...Eleanor Burns..check library for availability or even a used book store. Her illustrations are great, patterns simple, yet traditional and her instructions are to a T. I believe she also has tutes on her website......
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Start small and work your way up to a larger quilt. Starting with something small will give you a change to get the hang of it without being overwelmed.