Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling Fabric >

Selling Fabric

Selling Fabric

Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 AM

I was at an estate sale the other day where they had fabric stuffed into maybe quart sized freezer bags for $10 a bag. It seemed like a fair deal, except that I would have wanted to choose the fabric at that price (the lady in front of me grabbed the bag of batiks, darn!).

I've also been part of sales where people pick and choose and pay by the pound. Yes, a good scale is necessary, but it's an enjoyable way to shop!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Ditto to go with by the pound. I have been to sales where this was done and it is easier for both buyer and seller. You could even have a separate scale for them to try and weigh their own before getting to the sales table. Hey, even Eleanor Burns store did it at Paducah to sell all their scraps.

Also this method results in full bags and less room taken up at the cash our area since 1. No haggling over measurements, no time needed for sorting and pricing, and bonus all scraps can be easily sold.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM

by the pound. don't work yourself to death for a 1/4 yard of fabric.
If something is for sale it should be priced to go

I've been to a number of sales done this way, it also saves quite a bit of restacking the stack.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Personally, I hate doing garage sales. No matter how cheap you mark the fabric, you will get people insisting that 50 cents for 10 yards is a fair price. I did one garage sale about 26 years ago, and will never do one again. I get more joy out of donating stuff, especially when I do my taxes.

Unless you really need the money, why not consider donating it to your local Project Linus or Quilt Guild. Project Linus blanketeers make quilts that are given to children in crisis. Some groups also donate quilts to nursing homes, homeless shelters, etc. My local group has donated over 30,000 quilts so far. Some women can afford to donate quilts using their own money to buy fabric. Project Linus also puts together quilt kits using donated fabric so that more quilts can be donated. Many of our most talented quilters are retired and have more time than money and love to quilt and donate their time. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM

This must be a very difficult time for you and your parents. Assisted living is a big decision and a big adjustment, and, depending on the health of your parents, it can also be a big relief to you to know that they will be watched over and cared for every day.

You can donate fabric to specific charities. Project Linus is good, Quilts of Valor or Wounded Warriors would be delighted to get any Red, white, blue fabrics, etc.

If you give it to a local quilting guild and you want it used for charity quilts, you need to say that to them when you donate, and get a tax receipt for the value of the fabric.

If there are any completed quilt tops, see if anyone in the family wants a quilt pieced by your Mom, let them select and they can get it quilted on their own - but it's pricey. Otherwise, either donate to a local guild for charity or sell right here on the QB.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM

i would have yardage sell seperately than scraps and i would have the scraps in a bag and X amount for the bag and you can sell the yardage by the pound if you like to make it easier for you! have fun with it!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I think $2 a pound is way too cheap. That would mean you would get 2 1/2 yards for $2. Have you thought about selling any of it on the QB? Many ladies do real well doing this.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

"Regular" quilting cotton weighs four to six ounces per yard. Usually closer to four ouncees than six.

A lot depends on how "attached" you and your Mom are to these fabrics.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 AM

I think each piece should be seperately priced. Piece should be measured by yardage just using the nose to finger tip method and then priced accordingle. also you can bundle smaller pieces by color and sell the bundle for $8-10. I bought budles this way and really got a deal. All thsi may seem like more pre-work but it will save much time at the sale. Also a savy shopper I like to know beofre hand how much the fabric is going to be. Also you need to decide if you just want to get rid of the stuff or if you want to make $$$$. Good luck!!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I prefer actual yardage versus estimated yardage. Some people have had very short arms!

Also, if it is only 34 inches, don ' t call it a yard!