Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Retreat >
  • Quilt Retreat

• Quilt Retreat

Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

I'm short, so I like to take at least one seat cushion to make a more comfortable sewing set-up for me. You never know what kind of chairs will be provided. Even have friends who take their own sewing chairs to retreats. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!! Have a wonderful time!!!!
    Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM

Don't forget your clothes and toiletries. I used to go to a lot of scrapbook retreats, and more than once a friend showed up without a change of clothes. You may also want to bring a sweater or fleece that you can layer in case the room is cold.

Cheers, K
    Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 PM

I just got back from a retreat a few weeks ago and the one thing that everyone forgot was a paper bag and a roll of tape for threads and snips. Luckily I brought enough for everyone............and it really made clean up much easier. Someone also had plastic bags for scraps from cutting. One lady in our guild uses these scraps for making dog beds for the local shelter. If you do happen to forget anything quilters all over are more than willing to share theirs with you. HAVE FUN!
    Old 04-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Extension cord and lamp.
    Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM

I went on a retreat in Sept. and plan to go again this year, so much fun! I took extra machine, (two of my 221's) craft carrier with my fabric and tools in it, Big tub of home made mint choc chip cookies to share, tea, sleep pillow and cushion to sit on, bath goodies, hair dryer, a quilt for my bed, robe, nightie and cloths, travel iron and matt. My little car was so packed! (have a smart car) oh yeah also took my kindle, (like to read to wind down at night) ott light, took cash and credit card, we had a auction and vendors, extra blades for rotary cutter. extra pillow case for soiled cloths. a small flash light for night trips to rest room so not to wake others, and if you take any meds make sure you take them along, I just take vitamins but take a five day supply along, pattern? oh yeah charger for phone, kindle or what ever. OK thats all I can think of now, have lots of fun!!!!
    Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 PM

i hand quilt - i'd just have to take my current project.

btw - i wanna go on a quilt retreat!!! this work thing gets in the way of all the fun!
    Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM

I don't think anyone listed a cupholder that clips onto the table. It comes in very handy when the table gets crowded. I ordered mine from a scrapbooking site. It has a scrap bag attached as well.
    Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 AM

You are better off to take too much then not enough. You can always leave it in the car, and bring it in if you need it. Don't stress over it too much, as far as supplies. Go through each project and make sure you have tools and material. If you forget, someone will loan you their tools. There is always one person that shows up to a retreat with her sewing machine in a rolling cart and one carry tote with her projects in the other hand. I call her the "One trip wonder". Not me, I always have to make several trips to the car to get set up. Just enjoy, and don't worry about how much you are bringing.
    Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts
    You are better off to take too much then not enough. You can always leave it in the car, and bring it in if you need it. Don't stress over it too much, as far as supplies. Go through each project and make sure you have tools and material. If you forget, someone will loan you their tools. There is always one person that shows up to a retreat with her sewing machine in a rolling cart and one carry tote with her projects in the other hand. I call her the "One trip wonder". Not me, I always have to make several trips to the car to get set up. Just enjoy, and don't worry about how much you are bringing.
    You sound like me when I go on retreats. My family thinks I am totally out of my mind and I take everything but the kitchen sink, and am told the onlt,y reason it stays behind is it can't be taken apart. Have fun and enjoy.
    Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 AM

I don't know what to take, but I sure do envy you going on a quilt retreat. Some day...