Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To fix or not to fix--that is the question >
  • To fix or not to fix--that is the question

• To fix or not to fix--that is the question

Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 AM

After you take the picture for back, I like your idea of combining his work and yours. As the mother of 2 grown sons and 3 stepsons, all with strong personalities and most with children, the combination of his childhood effort and yours into a useful and enjoyable art keepsake will be appreciated I think. However, to be sure, I'd sketch it out and talk with him about what you're thinking of doing, he may have further input. I also wouldn't use cartoonish, babyish animals. I'd use realistic ones, that way it can be incorporated into a growing child's room, not just a nursery. JMO I look forward to pics of your project!
    Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

I would fix any seams that will effect the structural integrity of the top. Once that was done I would leave it the same, add the appliqué and finish it.
    Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 AM
    Power Poster

We need a picture!
    Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 AM

I would also go with your son's preference, since you did ask his advice.
    Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Now that you've asked him what he wants, I think you have to go with it. It is always dangerous to ask people what they want when what we really want is for them to tell us our idea is wonderful. It is his quilt. He asked you to fix it for him. He wants to give it to his child. Your son will appreciate that you've done this for him.
    Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM
    Power Poster

I would fix it as much as is reasonable to approximate your son's original vision for the quilt. If it's a child-size quilt, I would give it to the child to use -- the kind of quilt that the baby will lay on and later drag around the house. The quilt doesn't need to perfect; it just needs to be finished!
    Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM

I have spoken with my son several times about the project and shown him a sketch of what I had in mind. I'll find it and scan it in to share. His work is still in strips and short combinations. I'll take some photos to post. While he's a bit of a perfectionist, he also respects my artistic ideas. I do a lot of drawing and he specifically asked for a certain style of animal representation that I've done in the past, so that part's easy. He liked my design, I'm just stuck on how much to alter his work. I won't be using the whole thing, but rather pieces and parts and I believe that I can make even the flaws work with the final design. I do like the idea of taking a picture to remember his work as he did it. I think that I will make a small scrap book that documents the quilts making from Dad's early work to Grandma's finishing work to show our granddaughter what we can do and to show that even though something seems too messed up, it can be turned into a treasured piece with love and patience. By the way, I did make another quilt that is completely Grandma's work for the nursery. This one was designed based on my daughter-in-law's preference for bold colors and a non-babyish design.
    Attached Thumbnails eli-her-quilt.jpg   elianas-quilt.jpg   elianas-quilt-close-up.jpg  
    Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

If I was simply finishing his quilt as he initially planned the mini trip around the world, I would definitely straighten it out to make it a piece of work that he could proudly claim. But since I'm only incorporating pieces and parts to work into a broader design, I'd like to keep the work that he did at age 12, so that he can say to his children that he sewed that part when he was a kid. If I take it all apart and redo everything, then it's like I'm erasing his work which I don't want to do. I'll post the sketch and pictures of his work tonight or tomorrow morning. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and understand your point about meeting my son's wishes. What he wants is something to be proud of, something that he can say "I did that". I believe that a reworked design meets both my desire to keep some of his original work and his desire for a finished piece that he will be proud to claim some workmanship.
    Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

The quilt you've already made is adorable. I think you've got the right idea of keeping what you can of his original work and incorporating into your finish.
    Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM

I love the quilt you did in the way requested by your DDIL. Very colorful and wild (animals) without being babyish. You nailed it there and I'm sure however you decide to "fix" your son's attempt at quilting will turn out to be equally as wonderful! And thanks for sharing the pic of your lovely granddaughter. She looks like a very happy girl