Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dumb newbie question >
  • Dumb newbie question

• Dumb newbie question

Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Use Google Images to find some quilts using these two blocks....and other quilts with stars or 9 patches. Click on this link:
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...59.a6dX95tUWzU

Then there is an eight point star with a 9 patch in the center....look for that as well in those images.

Proud of you as a beginning quilter to think of designing this way!

Jan in VA
    Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Often the most interesting quilts are a combination of different blocks. They can be put together to make secondary patterns. Really beautiful quilts can come from putting the simplest, most basic blocks together. Have fun experimenting!
    Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM

There is never a "dumb" question. Just remember-all quilters start out at some point not having full knowledge of quilting. Your idea is great. My first quilting class was making a sampler quilt and it had many different blocks which gave me alot of ideas and knowledge on knowing how to make different blocks. So--just go for it and your quilt will be great. Please be sure and share with us when you have something in progress.
    Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 AM

First of all, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers :-)
    the quilt is yours, you can do whatever it pleases you to do and what matches your esthetic. If you are a beginner, you will notice as the years go by that your esthetic and preference may change, and that is fine. My quilts do not make sense to many people, but they make sense to me, and make me happy...and I like being happy. Despite of what you might have heard, there is no such thing as quilting police. Happy quilting.
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 AM

There is never a "dumb" question. In the world of quilting I've found many, many quilts which are made with two different blocks. Many patterns will call for so many Block A's and so many Block B's. When they are put together and a wonderful secondary pattern happens in the quilt. If you are really in doubt about combining blocks, get yourself some graph paper and colored pencils and try drawing out what you want to do. I'll bet you'll be so surprised and pleased at what you are wanting to create in fabric.

Last edited by youngduncan; 08-02-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: grammar!!
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:42 AM

Your question isn't dumb.... it's an opportunity for us to encourage you. And it sounds like you've already gotten some great answers. My answer is this..... quilt whatever pleases you. There are tons of quilt patterns out there.... every one of them started with someone asking, 'I wonder what it will look like if I put these shapes together in this way'. So, you are about to create something wonderful and new whenever you put two blocks together that haven't been together before. So, go for it....... enjoy your hobby and the freedom to express yourself. And, we all want to see the new creation..... really, we love to see pictures.
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Yes!! You are talking about using two alternating blocks. So many "patterns" are made up of two alternating blocks which then give a "secondary" pattern and a much different look.

the pattern Omigosh is a great example of combining two traditional quilt blocks into a completely different "secondary" pattern. One of them is the Nine patch.

I have an ap on my iPad which allows me to combine two different quilt blocks in a quilt to see what the secondary pattern will look like. It's great fun!!
    Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I have decided to use Star in a Star, Ohio Star, and Nine Patch in thr quilt. Now I just have to get started.
    Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, they are called Sampler Quilts. You can with a little preplanning even use blocks of different sizes. I think that EB did that in her Egg Money quilt book.
    Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Go to your local library and see if any quilt books are available which show sampler patterns.