Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm ready to give up >
  • I'm ready to give up

• I'm ready to give up

Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM

I am a senior too, and I can't seem to do anything right either. BUT I figure it's my quilt and I have fun with it. I won't give up and if you just get the right attitude and perspective on it, you'll see that it isn't the end of the world and no one but you will notice if the blocks are a little off. Take your time, go slow, measure a lot, and remember that it is a hobby, not a job!
    Old 07-07-2015, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

You said the squares all came out smaller than 1". Were they all pretty much the same size? If so, I would call it good. It's a doll quilt. If it's a gift the recipient will love it (and won't measure it). If you are making a quilt where all the blocks are the same, then a consistent seam will work, but your quilt might be bigger or smaller than the published size.
    It sounds like your seam allowance is not really 1/4". If you have a quarter inch foot, you can't rely on it. Thread and fabric differ. You need to figure out where the quarter inch seam is on your machine, with the fabric and thread you are using for this project, and just mark it on your machine with tape or whatever works. Here's a way to check:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Don't give up! I am in the same boat, I forget things, have to make lists, forget things, forget things, make lists and I keep right on going, sewing is one of my most fun things to do and I don't want to have to give it up! You can also google more tips on making your hst's if you need more help or a tutorial.

I also started sewing in the 7th grade!
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Whenever I make HST's I always cut the squares an inch larger than what I want the finished HST to be. For QST's I cut 1 1/2 inch larger than the finished size to be, this has always worked for me.
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 PM

For a finished straight edge you add 1/2". For 1" finished squares yr measurement is 1-1/2".

For a diagonal seam allowance you add 7/8". 1-7/8", sew corner to corner.

Some prefer not sure to dink around with the 1/8", cut 2", sew diagonal/cut/press/trim.
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by margied
    I've noticed that the longer I am retired, the less self-confidence I have and I'm determined to get passed that.
    I feel the same way. Do you think it may be that we were such a great team at work that we feel a bit lost without our support system?
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM
    Power Poster

I feel your pain. sometimes thing don't work out, and I sit and cry over it. why!!!
    take a break and ck your seam allowances, and when all else fails, give it a break for another day.
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM

You probably had one inch on you mind and cut them at one inch. I have done that, just not paying attention..
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 PM

I think on HST you have to add 7/8" to your square. Like if you wanted it to be a 1" finished then your squares would have to be 1 7/8". I would also make them a bit bigger, put your 2 squares together mark your line & sew it 1/4" on both sides & then cut down to the perfect size.
    Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by garysgal
    I am a senior too, and I can't seem to do anything right either. BUT I figure it's my quilt and I have fun with it. I won't give up and if you just get the right attitude and perspective on it, you'll see that it isn't the end of the world and no one but you will notice if the blocks are a little off. Take your time, go slow, measure a lot, and remember that it is a hobby, not a job!
    This is how I feel. Some days you just cant win so I don't fight the battle. Put it away until tomorrow,