Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil thread and new issue with machine? >

Aurifil thread and new issue with machine?

Aurifil thread and new issue with machine?

Old 12-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

My Brother 1500 will do this when I use the thread cutter. I figured out it doesn't matter as long as it's on the back. When I am doing machine quilting where the back will show, I don't use the thread cutter. If there is a Brother dealer nearby ask for a demo of how the thread cutter operates and how it sews. Don't say you have one. Most dealers will make excuses why it doesn't work if you didn't buy the machine from them.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Again, the issue did not happen with the slightly heavier Madeira, Cotona 50, just the Aurifil 50 cotton. We just bought 18, 1422 yard spools of Aurifil, so I hope that we can get this worked out. Frustrating !

Also, the issue isn't the ball of thread at the beginning. It's that it doesn't lock stitch the first few stitches. Will have to call the dealer and see if they have any ideas.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:28 PM

With 50 wt thread a size 7/11 needle is recommended.

As purly a layman and trial and error, I think the problem with my machine is a timing issue, even that could be the wrong term. Anyway, when the machine is running and then stops, I think the uptake lever should stop just past totally up. No one has ever confirmed this. Like someone else said, repairmen don't believe me.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
2 things -

Look at the Aurifil thread after you use the cutter. See if the thread looks curled. If thread is curled, the spool could be feeding wrong or tension is set for the heavier thread.

What does the tie-off stitch normally look like? My Pfaff 2170 has tie off stitches and they make a figure 4. The machine might not be getting enough thread to start with a tie-off.

You can also use leaders and enders. Start on a piece of scrap and end on another piece of scrap. If you are just piecing, you usually don't tie off the seams on piecing since the seam is usually crossed over. Most people chain where they can.

Spools do have certain ways to put on the machine so they feed the thread right. Are you using a horizontal spool holder?
These were some really solid ideas. I finally made it home from work and the first thing that I did was check the board on a full size computer and not on my crazy phone.

I want to thank everyone who pitched in and tried to help us out. We are somewhat embarrassed in that it was a simple mistake on our part. When we put the Aurifil on the machine there is a Thread Spool Insert that goes on the mini-king cones to hold the thread onto the horizontal spool holder. When we looked at the owners manual (imagine that, when all else fails actually read that thing), that Thread Spool Insert was the wrong one for the Aurifil spools. We were suppose to use the small spool cap instead of the Thread Spool Insert which is used for the mini-king spools.

As another poster mentioned, if your machine has an auto cutter and a feature which does an auto lock stitch automatically, is sure is nice to be able to use the features that you paid for. When the machine does it without any extra hand motions it really does save time.

Embarrassed but glad it was a stupid mistake on our part. The machine and my wife are both happy again.

If nothing else today, I was able to get her to type on the forum for the first time and explain the issue a little. I would like her to set up her own account and contribute and share and learn a thing or two as well. Thanks again everyone for the support. Clay
Old 12-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Aurifil is 50wt 2 ply. Most 50wt threads are 3 ply. The Aurifil is thinner the other 50 wt threads. Adjusting the tension and finding the right needle size your machine likes will take experimenting.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
These were some really solid ideas. I finally made it home from work and the first thing that I did was check the board on a full size computer and not on my crazy phone.

I want to thank everyone who pitched in and tried to help us out. We are somewhat embarrassed in that it was a simple mistake on our part. When we put the Aurifil on the machine there is a Thread Spool Insert that goes on the mini-king cones to hold the thread onto the horizontal spool holder. When we looked at the owners manual (imagine that, when all else fails actually read that thing), that Thread Spool Insert was the wrong one for the Aurifil spools. We were suppose to use the small spool cap instead of the Thread Spool Insert which is used for the mini-king spools.

As another poster mentioned, if your machine has an auto cutter and a feature which does an auto lock stitch automatically, is sure is nice to be able to use the features that you paid for. When the machine does it without any extra hand motions it really does save time.

Embarrassed but glad it was a stupid mistake on our part. The machine and my wife are both happy again.

If nothing else today, I was able to get her to type on the forum for the first time and explain the issue a little. I would like her to set up her own account and contribute and share and learn a thing or two as well. Thanks again everyone for the support. Clay
I know that the above post was too long. Again, thanks for the help everyone and it was just a matter of which of the 4 spool caps to use, which in turn affected the tension.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:08 AM

I would suggest using a piece of scrap at beginning and end and then use the lockstitch function manually when it gets to the actual piecing
Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 AM

Depending on the brand of machine,.....on Janomes, you need to leave the needle down when using the auto cutter....that usually fixes the problem with the thread coming out of the needle when starting up again.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM

Ugh! Know what you're going thru. I have a BL and it did the same thing..drove me crazy..I paid for this "added" feature and it gave me grief...I was ready to throw it out the basement window(still do some days).... Packed it up and took it to the dealer/tech...told him fix or put it in the middle of the road and let a semi smash it.....well yes, he fixed it...I guess there is a way they can. It now leaves enough thread to begin again....I still am not "thrilled" with the hairy knot it makes but better than having to manually (auto) re thread! And I paid for all this technology!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 AM

If you can manually turn your wheel toward you so that the needle is just above your work before you start sewing, it will stop that 90% of the time. The problem is happening because when you stop with your needle in it's highest position, the machine makes a full revolution before it gets to the fabric, and uses a good 2 or 3 inches of thread to get there, so if your machine cuts it with only an inch left, it can't start and complete a stitch with that short thread.