Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • unconventional sewing room tools >
  • unconventional sewing room tools

• unconventional sewing room tools

Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 PM

I sharpen the tip of chopsticks with a pencil sharpener and use as a stiletto. I've bought three "real" stilettos but prefer the chopstick. I also use chopsticks in my bobbin drawer to keep bobbins of the same thread together. Knitting needle point protectors keep them from sliding off.
    Old 12-06-2015, 09:20 PM

I have a double sided fishing tackle box with clear covers, and adjustable inserts. It's about 11 x 14. I use one side for thread, and the other side for just about all my other "gadgets" that I have. I love I and wished I had another one...just can't remember where I got it!
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 PM

- Pegboard -- I hang everything on it - rulers, stencils, thread, any stabilizer in reusable containers and shelves.
    - Embroidery floss box -- I use it to sort my sewing machine needles.
    - Tackle box -- I use it to sort my sewing machine feet.
    - The little plastic bags used for embroidery floss -- I will put thread and bobbins that have matching thread in these bags and hang them on the rings that you get in the office supply stores.
    - Large rings from office supply stores -- I put the small rulers on the rings and hang them on my peg board.
    - Elmers glue and washable glue sticks -- they hold fabric together (use the glue sticks to hold the binding on the quilt for sewing and they are really helpful when I hem pants (since no pants are ever short enough for me). A 3 foot level for squaring up quilts.
    - Comic book cardboard and sleeves - I put my quilting magazines in them to keep them nice.
    - 3 ring binders and sheet protectors -- I use them to hold patterns (both those I print from the internet and those I buy that are single patterns since they tend to get lost when I put them in a good safe place)
    - office organizer -- I use it to keep my most frequently used tools
    Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 AM

From the way you described it, I think I have the same fishing tackle box you do, Mine is made by Plano and I got it at Cabela's. I love it!
    Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    I use a wooden spatula to smooth the higher blocks onto the design wall because I'm too short to reach up there.
    Great idea! I keep a small stool at my design wall because I am too short also. But it is a pain to keep getting on and off of it and once I "forgot" I was on the stool and took a giant step backwards to get a better look at the quilt. Ouch! I did get a good look at the floor, though!
    Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 AM

I use small pieces of oxygen tubing to put over the sharp end of my small scissors and seam rippers after I've lost the covers for them!
    Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 AM

Hemostats for grabbing short thread ends, before they pull out of the needle.
    Old 12-07-2015, 06:53 AM

I use a mushroom brush to remove lind from my cutting board.
    I use a long bristle soft makeup brush to remove dust in and around my sewing machine.
    Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM

An ashtray (you probably have one in a drawer somewhere) to hold bits of thread while sewing, the odd pin you find on the floor, etc. Ashtrays are almost never flat and the sides keep your miscellany from falling out.
    Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 AM

Heavy Duty 1" contractor retractable tape measure that locks... put that puppy out and it's not going anywhere while you measure.

Canned goods... put on my 6" wide ruler while cutting so it doesn't move on me...doesn't matter how careful I am, if I don't have it weighted down, it will move.

Tupperware orange peeler...same as a stiletto for me

Blue painter's tape... use if for so many things...holding pattern up on cabinet while I cut things out, marking rows on quilts while arranging them on design wall, embroidery tack downs, etc etc etc

binder clips -- yep cheaper than the fancy dancy ones

flashlight -- look under the long arm at my stitches

Baggies --- keeps things grouped together

artist scrapbooking clear plastic boxes from Michaels -- 14 1/2 x 14/ 1/2 x 4 high --- wonderful for putting finished blocks in during swaps and for grouping project fabric together