Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Travel Iron >
  • Travel Iron

• Travel Iron

Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 AM

I do have a travel iron, but it seldom gets used. I don't know the brand. I bought it used. Most retreats that I go to do not allow extra irons at each person's table due to power capacity at the retreat location.
    Old 03-13-2016, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

Most retreats that I go to do not allow extra irons at each person's table due to power capacity at the retreat location.
    That is one thing I check first before signing up for a retreat. I don't go if the electrical is limited. It never works out to anyone's advantage.
    Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM

I purchased a Steamfast travel iron from Amazon and so far I've been happy with it. No auto turn-off and it stays really hot. I haven't tried it with steam. I found a good tutorial for an ironing mat by googling, but it was so long ago I'm not sure I'll find it again, but I'll try. It uses something like Sheetrock for the base. It's very light and easy to take to classes and retreats.
    Old 03-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    A tin pail is perfect to put a hot iron in to travel. No waiting for the iron to cool. I have a vintage tin sand pail I use. It's so cute.
    I'll have to look for one of those. I get teased about my the kitchen pan I bring. Meatloaf pan is perfect size, but no handle.
    Old 03-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Found the ironing mat tutorial. It uses OSB or sound board that cuts easily with a utility knife or box cutter.
    http://www.sewmuchlikemom.com/2013/0...-tutorial.html
    Old 03-13-2016, 11:28 AM

I created a pressing station to use by my sewing machine from an oak TV table. I covered it with several layers of thick cotton backing and a cotton duck top layer. Then stapled it to the back. My favorite travel iron is a Cordless Panasonic iron. It is 3/4 the size of a regular iron. I never use steam I it. I prefer to use best press or water in a sprayer.
    Old 03-13-2016, 03:56 PM

I have an older Black & Decker Travel Pro that I found at a thrift store for ~$3. You can set it for steam or dry. It has a folding handle that serves as the water tank and you can push a rubber button to squirt. Since the tank is plastic and not internal to the iron, I've considered putting my Best Press (I use unscented) right into the tank, it is essentially a spray bottle. It is a pretty good little iron at 700 watts. I also have the Omnigrid cutting/pressing station that folds to take to classes, that and the iron stay in a bag together with some rulers and a rotary cutter, ect. ready to go. I always take my own surge protector/power strip too, as outlets are always limited.

Last edited by Skyangel; 03-13-2016 at 04:11 PM.
    Old 03-14-2016, 03:55 AM

katybob, thanks for the link to making an ironing mat... I haven't had the need for a travel iron yet. In my experience, all of the classes I have taken have had plenty of irons set up in the classrooms and I have finally convinced myself that it is okay to finger press a few small items from time to time.
    Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 AM

I have a small iron which I love

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2630-H.../dp/B002N0ZLJU

and a piece of plywood about 12" x 18" that I covered with batting and then muslin stapled on the back side. I put them on one of those small folding tables (you can find them at most box stores). Voila!! I have my own pressing station.
    Old 03-14-2016, 05:25 AM

Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Iron 800 watt is the one I use and love it. Heats quickly and hot.