Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Travel Iron

Travel Iron

Do you have a miniature or travel iron to take to classes, workshops, bees etc? If so, what kind do you recommend? Also, do you also bring some type of table top ironing board or pad? Or do you find these are usually supplied? Do you bring your own Best Press and any other ironing supplies?

Blog Entries
    I have a mat on the back of a pressing mat I take to classes etc. And a cheap full iron. I did have a small iron but it got knocked off a cramped table. The iron was very cheap and easy to replace if same happens again.
    A few classes etc I go to provide an ironing boards and irons much better.
    i don't take best press or starch to classes. Found it is provided win those classes the tutor uses it. I do go to a couple of classes where the tutors disapprove of best press or starch.
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 03-12-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Alyce

Blog Entries
    You can usually contact the organizers to see what will be provided. Some places will not allow you to have your own iron due to power restrictions. If you are not sure & are traveling by car, you can always just take it & leave it if you don't need it. Many people use clover mini craft irons, but I found it awkward to use for quilting. At my last retreat a friend had a SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron, which I tried and liked. It's on my shopping list.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I use a little Rowenta that I purchased at J's on sale. It comes in a little grey bag. It's small but not foldable. I have only used it once. All the classes around here set up ironing stations. It's so much easier on electricity to have 4 irons set up instead of 20. Plus there are all those sewing machines.

Why do some tutors disapprove of Best Press? I would find out what suplles will be available to use....less to pack!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I do go to a couple of classes where the tutors disapprove of best press or starch.
    An instructor shouldn't say don't use a product, they should say I don't use it because.. ( I'd use it if one told me not to without a good reason)

I like the Cover Wedge iron for travel and I also like the Steamfast Travel iron. The large Omnigrid Fold Away Cutting/Pressing Station is a must have for me for classes and workshops. No waiting for the shared ironing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've got the little Steamfast. Works well by the add on ironing board.

As to banning Best Press - Some people are sensitive to smells. Personally, some of the Best Press stinks to me. If I want more, I'll get the unscented. Right now, white vinegar and water works. That stinks, too.

Get a few people, each with their own preference and trigger someone's allergy. Specify non-scented and someone will complain about the right to their choice. Best to ban it.

I have a Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Iron 800 watt and love it, it's really small and no handle to break. I got it for $12.50 on Amazon. My friends also have the Conair's EZ Press, also 800 watts and they said they also got it on Amazon for around $17.00. They also love that one, it's a little bigger and does have a handle. The Rowenta small iron seems to get hotter but some of my friends have had the handles break. We all made small containers together (got the idea from Pinterest, and when bringing it home if it's not totally cool we just leave the cord hanging out.
    As far as the mat, we all got the Magnetic Silver Portable Ironing Mat on Amazon for $10. Really like it, just the right size and it has magnets on the end that help it stay in place.

A tin pail is perfect to put a hot iron in to travel. No waiting for the iron to cool. I have a vintage tin sand pail I use. It's so cute.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I do have a travel iron, but it seldom gets used. I don't know the brand. I bought it used. Most retreats that I go to do not allow extra irons at each person's table due to power capacity at the retreat location.
    Melanie

http://www.quiltersenjoycolor.blogspot.ca

https://www.instagram.com/melanie_rudy_art
    https://melanierudy.com/

Most retreats that I go to do not allow extra irons at each person's table due to power capacity at the retreat location.
    That is one thing I check first before signing up for a retreat. I don't go if the electrical is limited. It never works out to anyone's advantage.

I purchased a Steamfast travel iron from Amazon and so far I've been happy with it. No auto turn-off and it stays really hot. I haven't tried it with steam. I found a good tutorial for an ironing mat by googling, but it was so long ago I'm not sure I'll find it again, but I'll try. It uses something like Sheetrock for the base. It's very light and easy to take to classes and retreats.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    A tin pail is perfect to put a hot iron in to travel. No waiting for the iron to cool. I have a vintage tin sand pail I use. It's so cute.
    I'll have to look for one of those. I get teased about my the kitchen pan I bring. Meatloaf pan is perfect size, but no handle.

Found the ironing mat tutorial. It uses OSB or sound board that cuts easily with a utility knife or box cutter.
    http://www.sewmuchlikemom.com/2013/0...-tutorial.html

I created a pressing station to use by my sewing machine from an oak TV table. I covered it with several layers of thick cotton backing and a cotton duck top layer. Then stapled it to the back. My favorite travel iron is a Cordless Panasonic iron. It is 3/4 the size of a regular iron. I never use steam I it. I prefer to use best press or water in a sprayer.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have an older Black & Decker Travel Pro that I found at a thrift store for ~$3. You can set it for steam or dry. It has a folding handle that serves as the water tank and you can push a rubber button to squirt. Since the tank is plastic and not internal to the iron, I've considered putting my Best Press (I use unscented) right into the tank, it is essentially a spray bottle. It is a pretty good little iron at 700 watts. I also have the Omnigrid cutting/pressing station that folds to take to classes, that and the iron stay in a bag together with some rulers and a rotary cutter, ect. ready to go. I always take my own surge protector/power strip too, as outlets are always limited.
    Last edited by Skyangel; 03-13-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    katybob, thanks for the link to making an ironing mat... I haven't had the need for a travel iron yet. In my experience, all of the classes I have taken have had plenty of irons set up in the classrooms and I have finally convinced myself that it is okay to finger press a few small items from time to time.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have a small iron which I love

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2630-H.../dp/B002N0ZLJU

and a piece of plywood about 12" x 18" that I covered with batting and then muslin stapled on the back side. I put them on one of those small folding tables (you can find them at most box stores). Voila!! I have my own pressing station.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Iron 800 watt is the one I use and love it. Heats quickly and hot.
    Dianne

One year at retreat we made iron covers with draw strings, using the same material you use inside pot holders, so we could pack warm irons if necessary. one lady said they looked like house shoes. lol

Most classes provide and iron and board, ask before buying one, that you may not need.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I have a Norelco with a folding handle that I found at a thrift store for $3. No steam & it gets hot fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Why do some tutors disapprove of Best Press? I would find out what suplles will be available to use....less to pack!
    sandy
    I don't they disprove of the product, tbey just disprove of its use in class. The smell can be overwhelming to many of us. Use it on your fabrics beforehand.