Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do samplers need a color scheme? >
  • Do samplers need a color scheme?

• Do samplers need a color scheme?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:17 AM

I am doing one right now that is using one fabric collection. I am a Type A personality, and a really scrappy, random looking sampler doesn't appeal to me personally. My eyes go all cross eyed like one of those magic eye puzzles LOL
    I also like the blocks to be cohesive, having the same shape, volume, etc. This is my personal preference.
    Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 AM

For me, they don't need a color scheme as much as they need a theme. Batiks, 30's, solids with lots of neutrals to bind them together. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like to also mix up the neutrals, then if I have to add more, it doesn't conflict as to old blocks and new blocks. Different light almond/grey batiks or different whites. One or two different colors doesn't work. It has to be at least 5 different neutrals to add interest and depth.
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    This is a similar question to scrappy quilts: controlled scrappy, or grab-out-of-a-paper-bag scrappy? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I agree! It all depends on YOU!!!!!! There are no quilt police!
    Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 AM

*** I like scrappy Samplers. I love the mis match of colors.
    *** I have done several this way.
    *** Just pick random patterns and grab scraps out of my bin.
    Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 AM

I have made 2 sampler quilts. One for a dear friend and all blocks were red, white and blue and the other had peach and green fabric in each block. Someone told me a long time ago---"it is your quilt so you can make it any way and color you like". I go by that statement all the time. Do what you like.
    Old 06-30-2016, 07:40 AM

If it's for yourself to keep, I'd say cue the Burger King music and " Have it your way!" But, I have seen samplers that are obnoxiously loud and look haphazard looking to me. I prefer a color scheme so that my eyes can focus on the blocks and find places to rest.
    Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that it's completely a personal choice. I personally love completely scrappy quilts, but I do appreciate having some kind of repetitive design in them, usually formed by using lights and darks consistently. With samplers there is no such repetition, unless you add it with framing, sashing, color placement,...

On the other hand, there's the Gypsy Wife Quilt that is a complete riot of color and shape, with the stripes in the lower part the only place where the eye can rest. And I think it's wonderful.
    Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 AM

My first attempt at piecing was with "friendship" blocks to be shared with others in a group of co-workers. Well, everyone had different blocks (all 12 1/2 inches). We exchanged blocks and made quilts adding our own "style." Well of course I had no style, so I arranged them in a way that was acceptable to me and used a neutral (khaki) sashing. That really broke up the mismatch of colors. I used a backing that contained a lot of the colors in the blocks. I love my "first quilt" that reminds me of the awesome people who worked along side me. It's still around and being used.
    Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM

I am very fond of completely uncontrolled crazy quilts where there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to anything. So your quilt, no matter how you make it, will be beautiful to someone! Make whatever makes YOU happy.
    Old 07-01-2016, 03:39 AM

I "lost" this post and then just found it again and there were all the replies! Thank you for your opinions! You are always helpful.