Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts? >
  • How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

• How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 PM

I go on one retreat every summer, it lasts a whole week and I usually get at least two projects done if not more. It's my therapy.
    Old 08-14-2016, 07:12 PM

The last six months I have done very little actual sewing---but never stopped trolling the Internet, developing ideas and buying some fabric. Before that, I was much more productive by actually sewing and making the quilts. Other aspects of life have just gotten in the way. But I am confident I will get Back to it!! I think it is OK to have ebbs and flows---no burnout this way. The only thing I am trying to control is reducing fabric purchases if I am not actually sewing on any---I don't want my stash to get out of hand.
    Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 PM

summer is for hauling & moving rock/brush/dirt or brick like for my current project, clearing brush, irrigation, mowing & spending quiet evening hours reading board & other forums, dreaming over web quilt pics. planning winter fun in front of sewing machine or cutting fabric etc.

my thought ...my quilting hobby is just that, a hobby. it's not a job. it's supposed to be my fun time --no shedule, no rules, no pressure ..just fun & pleasure
    Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM
    Power Poster

Normal 2-3 hours a day on work days, 5-8 hours on days off. I only spend an hour in the morning on the computer ( my iPad) then an hour later in the day or evening. While at work (12 hour night shifts) I hand sew off & on, may spend more time on the iPad depending on what's happening. Some nights I just use the iPad for Pandora music while I work. Sew during breaks- down time during the ( wee hours) I on average spend 35-50 hours a week sewing, and still work full time, clean, fix meals. I'm seldom idle- I hand sew through baseball games, movies, tv; I'm in the sewing room using machines when there's nothing on I want to watch, with music on.
    Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 PM

I sew nearly every day, but I also make clothes, been making nice loose lightweight tops and trousers with silks and Japanese Cotten friends hubby brought from Malasia for my friend and I for upcoming trip to Mexico. Sometimes I feel I need a break from quilting. I used to have a wedding dress business so making clothes and little toys for my grandaughter breaks up my quilting. Sunday's and Monday's I usually spend about 6 hours sewing.
    Old 08-15-2016, 02:56 AM
    Power Poster

i'm the same, Prism. i'm organizing my new sewing studio and hope to change that. i have room now to invite friends over and i'm sure we'll get a lot of sewing done.
    Old 08-15-2016, 04:09 AM
    Power Poster

Some days I can sew for eight hours, other days only 15 minutes.

I do believe I spend more time selecting the fabric I use and then reading the pattern several times as an overview of what I am doing. Then Making trial blocks.

Just like painting, most of the work is in good preparation. The actual quilt assembly is a very small part of the whole process. Enjoying every step of the doing is important to the completed project.

I can cut and sew a full size Trip Around the World in 16 hours. Setting up my space or, thinking about cleaning up from a project, choosing fabric and prepping it can take 3- 5 hours, that includes a glass of wine and a nap and patting myself on the back for doing it.

have fun.
    peace
    Old 08-15-2016, 04:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    DH put a screen door going to my sewing room. The cat and dog would lay in front of it waiting for me to come out and were content as long as they could see me. I couldn't lay out anything, cut anything, or sew, the cat was right on top of it.
    What a good idea. The animals feel comfortable and with you but removed from your work. Brilliant.
    peace
    Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 AM

I spend much more time thinking about what I want to do than actually doing it. I'm doing good if I sew a couple hours 4 or 5 times a week.
    Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 AM

I wonder if quilting is like vacations. For many, planning the vacation is just as much fun as going on the vacation. I do spend a lot of time getting ideas by looking at Pinterest, Craftsy blogs and this board etc but I figure that since making a quilt is so time consuming I want (and enjoy) doing a lot of planning up front.

I'm going on a 4 week camping trip and getting hand sewing projects ready for the trip.