Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts? >

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Witch time of year? My sewing room is so hot during the summer, my friends socially, my family obligations and my home and gardens need attention so not a lot during this season. But, since it is cooling some, I have been starting to spend more time there. I do have a life other than quilting.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
While at work (12 hour night shifts) I hand sew off & on, may spend more time on the iPad depending on what's happening...Sew during breaks- down time during the ( wee hours) I on average spend 35-50 hours a week sewing, and still work full time, clean, fix meals.
I work a rotating shift. I get my best sewing/quilting time in during the same wee-hour down time. I love it!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

If I am lucky, being disabled, I usually am behind my Bernina at least an hour everyday.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:22 PM

I go in spurts so don't have a set amount of time devoted to it. I can sew every day for a few hours and then not sew for weeks at a time. I basically sew when I am in the mood
Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Probably less than most on this board. My mojo comes and goes. I do not have a stash. When I feel like it I quilt. Sometimes every day. Sometimes days or weeks go by and I am doing other things. I go to the quilt shop on Fridays for the companionship. I enjoy tinkering with the vintags machines. I don't put pressure on myself and just do what I feel like when I feel like it. But I do enjoy everything about making a quilt.
Stitchinnripper you took the words right out of my mouth
Old 08-15-2016, 07:46 PM

I started quilting in 2010 while still working--most of my sewing was weekends and late nights. Since retirement and purchase of a long arm, I usually will spend some time daily on quilting work--usually about 4-6 a day. That does include cutting time; most of my time on the computer(EQ, Board, cruising the on-line stores) is in the evenings when I'm watching tv with DH. When I go 3-4 days without sewing (visitors, vacations, etc) I'm almost like a junkie needing my sewing fix! I still find time for 2x week exercise class, a social life, and putzing around the house with garden and horses. But I think everyone finds their own "normal" with sewing and should never feel bad about how much or how little time spent quilting---hobby time should be leisure time not stress time!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 AM

I don't get anytime to sew in the summer months, beginning the first of June into September. We own two retail businesses midcoast Maine and summers are our busiest while tourists and summer residents are here. One is a wine, cheese and kitchen store, the other is a woman's clothing store. We also live on an island in the summer and have a twelve week clambake business. www.cabbageislandclambakes.com
I am struggling to get a warm wishes baby quilt done for our nephew by August 31st.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:58 AM

With my back (arthritis) and painful sciatica, I do well to sew for 30 minutes at a time, but it's 30 minutes. We are downsizing and I found enough blocks already pieced to make 2 twin tops, so guess what my next project will be. I try to soldier on and do what I can. I love the hobby, have taught quilting, been fortunate to go to many quilt shows, and have studied under many wonderful, talented teachers with world-wide credentials, so I am happy to now do just what I can.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:06 AM

I don't sew nearly as much as I think I should. I spend too many hours per week here and and on Pinterest. I have many UFOs that I need to quilt. Quilting is always the hangup for me.. I love to quilt, but often it takes a while for me to decide what to quilt, then when I do, I don't always have the skill set or patience to do what I plan, which requires practice and experimentation.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:09 AM

It is my "treat" to have everything done, not have anything to do or anywhere to go or a book to listen to or plan on a block to do while I am working on a totally different one - I am the one that loves sampler quilts. And then, again, there are days when I have a million and one things to do and just say that this is a day I can do anything I want to and not do anything I don't want to! TODAY'S THE DAY. I worked my little be-hind off yesterday, watched the Olympics until 11:00, slept until 6:00 and now I am all excited, because I am bringing everything outside on the patio and sew all day long - I'll make some egg salad sandwiches and that will be my lunch and dinner and I will bring out the ironing board, iron, blocks to sew and/or cut, sewing machine, open up the outdoors umbrella and just soak in the day and sew to my heart's content.

But then on the other hand, I would much rather be doing my day with my husband and I would give everything up to have him here again.

Have a great day!!!!!! Edie