Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts? >

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Texas_Sue, I understand about watching TV with your ears. I do that too. I work on various hand projects and when it gets cooler again I will get back to hooking a wool rug.

I have to admit that when I watch a show with subtitles, I am thrown, because I have to actually look at the screen.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Madamekelly, It sounds as though Mom might be trying to catch a break at your expense. When I am in this situation (which is quite fequently), I try my best to bite my tongue, knowing that they won't live with me forever. Sometimes a blessing can be disguised as a curse. I choose my battles wisely and try to let things roll off my back. When I finally explode, things can get ugly. I really do love them with all my heart, but sometimes a girl needs boundaries.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 AM

I sew most everyday, maybe 5 days a week. When I do sew it might be an hour or it might be 6 hours. I love to sew & quilt so I really look forward to it.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Lately I've been sewing 2-5 hours a day. I'm sick with a sinus infection, so it makes sleeping difficult due to all the coughing.
Sharon in Texas
Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM

I love reading everyone's responses, and glad to know I fit right in. I too have mentally commented to myself that I spend more time doing other quilty things than actually sewing. As others have said, sometimes I am too tired (I will usually then pick up a quilting magazine or cruise the internet for quilty things), or too hot to deal with the quilt (no a/c in my house), or need to mow or weed or do the other outdoor summer chores. Lately I've been trying to think of a way to create a sewing area and am also planning on refinishing my floors in anticipation of a move, so in order to do either of these things I need to get rid of "stuff". So other things have taken precedence and my actual sewing time hasn't been much. I may get a couple of hours in a week if I'm lucky.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have been going through "sewing withdrawal" for about a year since I have two little 'roomies' that are four and six. The six year old really wants to learn to sew, but if I try to teach her anything, her mother sends the little one to 'watch' what we are doing and at that point I am babysitting instead of instructing. (The first time I tried to do both, the four year old tried to 'catch' the sewing needle! Eeeek!) Grrrr! The four year old wants to look at 'stuff' so I have to keep my eye on her at all times. When they get their own place, I will give the six year old 'gifts' of blocks of time to come over and sew without the babysitting job. (When I work with the four year old learning letters and words, mom demands that the six year old sit with us.) If mom would join us, instead of being stuck to her cell phone, it would not be such a problem to deal with both at once. {sorry, stepping off my soapbox now...}
Wait! Are we sharing my DIL??? LOL! But I do feel your frustration!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:37 PM

If you ask my DH he would probably say 23 hrs/day.LOL I sew most days when we aren't traveling and on some of those it may be 8 hrs, other days 2-3 hrs. I can't sew in a mess, so after each project I have to put things away and start over. Last week I had a deadline so cut, pieced, sewed, ironed, quilted and bound for 9 days straight. Now I'm ready to make some charity tote bags to switch gears. I have a 5 day retreat next week so will sew most of a 12-13 hr. day and then switch gears again. I really need to quilt my DGS twin quilt by October and I am the worlds slowest machine quilter, so will probably sandwich that after retreat is over. Being retired, I don't have many daily commitments except volunteering one morning a week sewing for the hospital and going to the gym 3 times a week. DH cooks every other evening. We share the housework too. His hobby is woodworking so he understands my passion.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM

I am trying to do at least an hour five days a week. Usually once I get out to my sewing room I will stay awhile but a hour works good for those hard to finish projects and keeps me busy.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM

I spend my summer outdoors...so I cut and/or piece in the warm months...then I have them ready for winter when I can cozy up and concentrate. Different things work for everyone!