Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts? >

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

How much time do you actually spend sewing quilts?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 AM

I sew three days a week, if I am lucky. At the most 3 hours but usually 2. Don't have a lot of quilts finished but enjoy the process. I try and get up every hour just for circulation. Sure do not want to throw a clot!!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 AM

During the week days I sew about 2 - 3 hours a day in my sewing room. I also work on EPP while I "watch" TV (with my ears)at night - usually about 2 hours. That way I have the best of both worlds - machine and hand work. Being retired does have its perks!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:25 AM

I sew when I feel like it, which is most days. I do spend a lot of time thinking about, planning and researching projects - have been making more clothing than quilts this summer. Retired this spring, so every day I get up and marvel at the free time I have. I do go to the YMCA almost every day for classes and lap swim. It's a good break in the day to stop and get my body moving. When I do get to sewing, I'm usually at it at least 3 or 4 hours at a stretch.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:50 AM

Seems as if I got more sewing done before remarrying. Now there is a house to clean, pets to walk, gardening to do, dinners to cook, and we both shut down our hobbies around 4:00 each afternoon to spend time together for the rest of the evening. Sometimes I feel as if I should wave to my sewing machine, and tell it I'll be back again someday!! LOL
Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 AM

I spend some time every day quilting. I read posts on QB every day. When I start a new quilt I spend hours a day; when I am finishing UFO's I spend less time. I do other sewing, but my main focus is quilting now.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:59 AM

I average 12-14 hours per week -- when on a roll I can sew 30 hours but the next week I have to play catchup on the housework.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 AM

Same here, seems I spend more time fantasizing about the quilt than actually working on it. During the summer my time is split between yard and garden work and what's left for sewing. By the time I get inside I'm usually too tired to sew. Sometimes I'll get a second breath around midnight and then I'll do a little sewing. I seem to do better when I'm on a time crunch though. Then I'll take more time in my sewing room.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:54 AM

I love, love, love to sew on quilts. But-----my daughter and 3 granddaughters live with my DH and myself so sewing time is quite limited and I have to set up sewing machine, ironing board and all that goes with it on the dining room table so I may get a couple of hrs to sew but not every day. As soon as the girls get on the bus, I head into the house and get the house straightened up and prep for dinner. I am not complaining because my daughter and DGC have a much better life now but I do need to sew a little each day. It is my therapy!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 AM

It depends...
I have a full-time job, with an hour commute, so during the week, it's not much. It chould be an hour, it could be three hours, it could be none. Depends on my mood, how tired I am, and so on.
On the weekends, it depends entirely on what we have going on. Last weekend, I went on a house-cleaning binge, and didn't get much quilting done at all. Next weekend, we will be traveling across the state to spend time with the grandbabies.
Every other month, I travel 2 hours to my longarm guild meeting that lasts several hours. So, that's takes about 8 hours of that day, but I usually come home really inspired, so end up spending at least a couple hours more quilting on those days.

We have a small farm, so this can all vary at any given time - horses, chickens, garden, etc, all need to be dealt with every day.

But, it's my creative and emotional outlet. It's not a job (although I do make a little money with my longarm work) so I quilt when I feel like it and have time.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 AM

I have been going through "sewing withdrawal" for about a year since I have two little 'roomies' that are four and six. The six year old really wants to learn to sew, but if I try to teach her anything, her mother sends the little one to 'watch' what we are doing and at that point I am babysitting instead of instructing. (The first time I tried to do both, the four year old tried to 'catch' the sewing needle! Eeeek!) Grrrr! The four year old wants to look at 'stuff' so I have to keep my eye on her at all times. When they get their own place, I will give the six year old 'gifts' of blocks of time to come over and sew without the babysitting job. (When I work with the four year old learning letters and words, mom demands that the six year old sit with us.) If mom would join us, instead of being stuck to her cell phone, it would not be such a problem to deal with both at once. {sorry, stepping off my soapbox now...}