Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide >
  • Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide

• Longarmers Help! Buying New Longarm & I Can't Decide

Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 AM

I have the HQ16. My only complaint is not being able to do my own maintenance. My dealer is 60 miles away. If I get out of time I have to make an appointment to bring it in for service. If I want "same day service" it costs almost $100 extra! Otherwise it will be a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks before I can pick it up. UH....why do I have to make an appointment to bring in if they are going to keep it anyway! Things may have changed with HQ now but this is something I would check into first before taking the plunge. Ask what maintenance you can do on your own.
    Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I have the HQ16. My only complaint is not being able to do my own maintenance. My dealer is 60 miles away. If I get out of time I have to make an appointment to bring it in for service. If I want "same day service" it costs almost $100 extra! Otherwise it will be a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks before I can pick it up. UH....why do I have to make an appointment to bring in if they are going to keep it anyway! Things may have changed with HQ now but this is something I would check into first before taking the plunge. Ask what maintenance you can do on your own.
    I think it depends on the individual dealer. My HQ dealer is fabulous. I've been shown how to do everything myself if I want to. If not, she's just a phone call away and will come over if I need her. I can't say enough good things about her or my Avante. I bought mine used, with a new frame, and she even made sure I was given the full warranty on my machine as if I had bought it new.

Cari
    Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM
    Power Poster

From those two I would choose the APQS. I personally narrowed it down to Innova 26 and HQ Fusion. I have a HQ dealer about 10 minutes away from me if not closer. The Innova dealer was in another state but it has all worked out great. If you are looking at the HQ fusion maybe also consider the Avante. I felt the HQ fusion was cumbersome and the thread broke frequently, this was at the dealer with them and seminar instructors running it. The Advante seemed more manageable. I like the INNOVA as I can run it with one hand. It is super light and I have great control. I think the APQS is very nice too and would consider it over the HQ if you have support close by. Best wishes. You are fortunate to have two dealers of really nice machines so close by. Please post when you have your machine. Congratulations!
    Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM
    yel

love my innova....just can't say enough from the machine itself to the service ...
    Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 AM

ZetteT, I am in the same boat as you...I have been test driving LAs for over a year and thought I had finally settled on APQS, after all, they have a lifetime warranty. I learned to FMQ on a Lenni a couple years back. Only recently have I had to rent a HQ Avante which is also a smooth and easy LA. Now I am weighing the same options as you... I will not be able to purchase a machine until my new sewing room is completed over our two car garage (I'm hoping it will be done by spring). Good luck with your decision and would love to know what you pick in the end.
    Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM

Default longarmers help

Just wondering if you have tested out a gammill or a innova, they are both excellent machines also... I have a gammill that I have had for 7 years and it is great... I tested several machines before I bought. I think one of the things that you want is to be able to have a dealer close in case you need some help.
    Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 AM

I owned a APQS for over 10 years and just loved that machine. During that time I had three issues with the machine. The first APQS sent us a replacement part, since it was not wired correctly, and detail instructions how to fix it. Neither my husband or I are very handy with tools. The second was a magnet broke after 8 years. They instructed us how to fix the problem with a detail email and also on the phone with us the whole time it took to fix the problem. The third issue was with the tension, and it turned out to be the thread. Not bad for all the quilting the machine completed. Several of my friends really liked the auto feed on the rollers. APQS is the only machine table with that function. If I was to get another machine "APQS would be first on my list. Great customer service and people in the business. Good luck.
    Old 12-03-2016, 08:14 AM

If it's coming down to speed vs bells and whistles, I'd personally pick the bells and whistles. I've never seen anyone, whether she's a professional quilter, a show quilter, or a home quilter, use a longarm at top speed for more than a couple of seconds.
    Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM

well since you have done the research and you like them both and support is about the same guess it is just your personal preference. Only you can make this decision
    Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM

I started out with the HQ16 moved up to the Avante 18 and a couple of months ago - bought the HQ Fusion...I am sold on the Handi Quilter machines. The Fusion in a wonderful machine and it lets you finish in a shorter period of time. The improvements on this machine are well worth the price. I do plan to add the ProStitcher in the next several months...gotta get through Christmas first...I am a huge fan of the HandiQuilter products. Good luck with your decision.