Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long Arm Machines >
  • Long Arm Machines

• Long Arm Machines

Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 AM

"To each their own" as the saying goes; I purchased my Gammill on a metal 14 foot table inWest Plains, Missouri new in May of 2000. I have never been sorry. My machine is not stitch regulated nor is it computerized, but I love it. In 18 plus years I needed to take it for service twice (the first time operator err; the second time to fix the light switch). I keep it oiled and cleaned and whatever maintenance it needs I am able to take care of it. Have never had a problem with tension, do mostly customer quilting on it with a lot of ruler work. As most of us can say I absolutely love my machine!
    Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 AM

three years ago i bought a Qnique 14 plus.
    Old 01-11-2019, 06:07 AM

I started with a Bailey to see if I'd like it, and quickly upgraded to a 24" HQ Fusion, and then got the robotics. I can get local support for it, and it was just barely withing my budget. Based on what people say about the Innova, I'd love to check one out but worry I'll fall in love and then not be as happy with the HQ - but getting a new LA is not in the near future.

I'm so glad that there is a range of machines at different price points.
    Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM

I've had my Innova 18" with 10' frame for 9 years. I absolutely love it. Be sure you try whatever you are thinking of purchasing. It's a big investment, so you need to be comfortable with your decision. I've never regretted purchasing the Innova. Love it, love it, love it!
    Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

I have enjoyed reading all your comments. I did forget to say, even tho the friend purchased the longarm, she got it in a cabinet, not the frame. I loved the freedom of movement, so to speak, of having the deep throat and being it was a large flat area to slide the quilt to work. It didn't hurt my hands or wrist, like my regular small throat machine does, with just a narrow work bed. I also used her gloves, which I never used before, and I really liked them. Hers were by Fons & Porter, but I wished I'd have asked the size. My hands are small (the only part of me that is, besides my eyes-lol) and her gloves fit me well. Do most of you have the frame with yours or in a table/cabinet? I'm afraid if I were to get a LA, I would only be able to purchase the lowest priced one, or a good used one at a good price. Then I am scared to purchase used...like I said I can still dream.

Also, about 2 years ago we got a new member in our class at church. We hit it off because she and I both love to sew, embroider, and quilt. She told me she had a LA with the frame and for me to come one day and she would have a baby size fabric sandwiched ready to us to play. I did go and came home frustrated. It took us hours to quilt it. I told my husband it would stitch perfect from left to right but when you wanted to go from right to left the thread kept breaking. She would re-thread and re-thread. I wasn't impressed even though her machine was bought new and didn't have many hours on it. I hate to say the name because someone might have one and love theirs. Is there something that can be done to eliminate this thread breakage, when changing directions?

Last edited by toogie; 01-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM

That sounds like the needle was not in quite right. You can effectively advance or retard the timing by turning your needle every so slightly. when you move one way vs the other, this can get accentuated and then cause problems like shredding or breaking. The good part, most LA's are really easy to adjust timing on. I knocked mine way out of time once and DH had no trouble resetting it. It's sort of like the weakest link. But I'd rather have the needle bar slip than something break or bend.
    Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 AM

I started out about 10 years ago with a Viking Mega Quilter that was a floor model, plain jane, no computer. Over the next 3 years it spent more time at the factory being repaired than it spent in my house. So I did a lot of checking out of machines and ended up with a HQ Avante on a 12' frame, in my living room. It had computer too, which I upgraded to the new pro-stitcher. I love everything about it. I named him Bob, and he is the love of my life. I like being able to move the machine rather than moving the fabric. I was horrible at FMQ on my domestic machine, so a longarm on a frame was the next logical move.
    Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 AM

[QUOTE=Macybaby;8190791]That sounds like the needle was not in quite right.

This has also been my experience on my Innova. When the needle is in correctly, I get almost no thread breakage.
    Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 AM

I bought a Gammill Classic Plus in 2006 w/12' frame. The main reason I bought the Gammill was the local service. I also liked the heavier machine (vs Sweet16). It seemed that I have more control than with a lighter machine. That said, it is a great machine, stitch regulator/no computer. I love the frame!!! It is heavy duty and no wiggling, etc, easy to load and maneuver the backing/batting/top.
    Old 01-12-2019, 09:17 AM

My first purchase was a Hq 16. I bought it because I happen to be at our local high school and they had one in their sewing room. I talked to the teacher, and decided that if the school had this brand, it must be pretty easy to use and durable, loved it for about 10+ years and then. Bought the next bigger machine! Love them both! Good
    Luck