Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a long arm? >

Should I buy a long arm?

Should I buy a long arm?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:02 PM

I am hoping to get the Baby Lock Regalia, I have been trying out long arm machines for several years, but the only dealer near (200 miles) is Baby Lock. Using just reviews alone I would choose the Innova, but that option is not available here.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:30 AM

I learned about the facebook page, Longarm and Accessories 4 Sale through this forum. I do not have a facebook account, but have learned that several pages are deemed "public", which means that even those who do not have a facebook account can access these pages, this Longarm and Accessories 4 Sale page is one of those. WOW some of the deals are unbelievable, all price points, all sizes, sit downs to professional. Just another resource for you to check out, you never know just like Craigslist.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:32 AM

Some considerations--how old are you and how much will you use the long-arm? Can you justify paying that much for a "hobby"? How many quilts could you hire someone else to quilt for that amount of money? Of course, there is the satisfaction of completing a project of your own but just saying. Perhaps there is a local shop that rents the use of their long-arm without you purchasing and maintaining the set-up plus giving it permanent space in your home.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 AM

five years ago i decided on a long arm machine. and i have not regretted it. just
for me i do not do it as a business and i also do one of my friends and my sisters when they
make a quilt. it is better than paying some one else.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 AM

I spent about 3 years auditioning longarm machines (plus building an addition over our two car garage) before deciding on a purchase. It came down to two brands of machines which would both have had service representatives in my area...I was hesitant to purchase a used machine because of warranty and service. Even though you have gotten to try longarm machines at quilt shows, I suggest you take a few long arm classes that provide hours of free motion instructions and experience on a machine. I began my FMQ journey four years ago at MQX in Manchester, NH and fell in love...I knew someday I wanted my own machine and it finally got delivered a couple of days after Christmas.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree on taking a class that teaches you:
1. How to load quilt top backing and batting on the frame
2. General operation like threading the machine, loading a bobbin and quilting from both front and back of the machine.
3. Adjusting tension for different thread types
4. How to advance the quilt and line it up for pantograph quilting

The Craigslist ad sounds confusing. You wrote: "an innova 22 pantograph for $12,500."

First of all a pantograph is a paper pattern you lay on the back table and follow with a laser light so does this mean they are including a pantograph (or multiple pantos) or are they just saying it has the laser light for doing pantographs? Either way the laser light is a standard feature included on all innovas. A pantograph normally runs about $15.00

Judging by the price I would say this is a 22" Innova with the standard stitch regulator as opposed to the lightening stitch so that is pretty much the regular price brand new (inclusive of rack)! Now if this machine has pantovision and lightening stitch then it is a deal.

I too have an Innova and like Dunster I bought mine 8 years ago and upgraded to Lightening Stitch. Well worth it IMHO. Innova is a great machine and I positively adore mine. Many longarmers have switched from other brands to Innova.

Additionally I would mention that I have heard many, many stories of people who jumped into getting a longarm only to realize they don't like loading a quilt on a rack or don't have the stamina to stand at it for any length of time or they got one thinking they could quilt like show quilts after only a few hours of practicing which is definitely not the case. Then there are the people who got them and were afraid to use them! IMHO dealer support is essential, at least in the beginning. Innova does have awesome 24/7/365 customer support via phone to walk you through most issues but it is so nice knowing you have a dealer to turn to, especially in the beginning. I would go to the Innova website and see if there is a dealer near you that you may not know about.
https://www.innovalongarm.com/about-us/our-dealers.html

You are definitely on the right track by asking, looking around and having already tried out machines at a show but there is a huge difference between playing with one at a show and actual longarming. A class will give you the most exposure. And you don't have to take the class on the machine you want to buy. I took a class on a handiquilter and got the Innova.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 AM

Just watching people at shows long arm makes my back hurt so I'll go at your question from the $$ viewpoint which seems one of your focus points in asking for input.

Getting my quilts quilted runs about 260-275.00 (queen+) At $12.500.00 if my math is right I can get better than 40 quilts done, and mine are always double sided, which is 80+ tops.

Setting aside you may be rich as Croesus, $12,500.00 is a lot of money. Is your house paid for, your cars, do you have zero consumer debt? Are your kid's college funds funded? your Roth or IRA? Is there house maintenance going wanting, roof/plumbing/electrical/windows?

At the very least do you have the funds saved up? If not have you factored in the interest over time into your mental cost total?

Love your avatar quilt, and best wishes on the journey. I've often found the journey is the most part of the fun, finally getting is a bit of a letdown.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:36 AM

A little over 4 years ago, I purchased an Artistic SD 18" made by Janome. I quickly ruled out any other longarm set up because of the price. I am self taught on machine quilting on a domestic machine. Once I had meandering down, I knew I had to upgrade to something because any quilt larger than a baby quilt was just too frustrating to machine quilt on a domestic. What I like about my machine is that it fits in my sewing room. I like that once I have my quilt sandwich, I'm good to go. I like that I can switch out quilts which I have done - to get a smaller project like a gift or something out in between working on the larger quilt. I like that I create all my quilts from the very start to the very end. I like that I was able to learn all kinds of free motion quilting patterns that I felt I was limited on my domestic due to space. Because I love "the touch of a hand", and the entire creating process, I don't see the importance of a computerized stitch and even less interested in a stitch regulator. I'm not interested in starting a business but have enjoyed machine quilting for friends and relatives. I wore out the bobbin winder washer and I was able to replace the washer. However, I went ahead and purchased a free standing bobbin winder and that works out well. My sewing machine service tech says I should get years and years of use of this machine and since I keep it clean and well oiled, I plan on just that. I am completely happy with my purchase and as long as my machine is running, I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 AM

I bought A1 machine from a gal online sight unseen. I called A1 and they knew the machine...told me the gal had it serviced recently and it was a good machine. I bought it and used it for a few years. Really liked that machine...THEN...I tried an Innova. I traded my A1 in for one of those.
My point is - if you find a machine (like the one on Craigslist) you can give the company a call and see if they know the machine. Get the serial number of the machine. They may be able to give you some info on it.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610184[/ATTACH]

This is a new to me machine and set up I bought from Craigslist in early January. After alot of reading and research to make the decision to purchase it, and how to make the leaders, and practicing loading it, I just started sewing with it this week, and wow do I have a lot to learn. Through the state guild I also searched out a few long arm quilters and met with both of them, spent several hours with each, they both loaded an entire quilt onto their machines, and demonstrated FMQing to me and allowed me to ask lots of questions, take notes and pictures to reference later. I'm excited about this new adventure, as I'm sure you are too I'm I also am going slow and not rushing the process so I don't get discouraged, enjoy the journey.
Attached Thumbnails 15524887682391836306106.jpg