Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • where to buy quilting thread >
  • where to buy quilting thread

• where to buy quilting thread

Old 10-21-2019, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

90% of my quilting is done with Glide thread which is a 40 wt trilobal polyester. Glide can also be purchased at Metro (the link Dunster provided). the remaining 10% of my quilting is devoted to specialty threads like 100 wt inivisifil by Wonderfil threads, metallics and holographic threads. Oh I also use Superior Monopoly quite a bit for ditch work.

I use a lot of colors but I have found the various shades of gold and tan/beige seem to play nicely with the most things.
    Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 AM

I've been buying from Superior mostly. We found with the machine my friend had that pre-wound bobbins actually worked better for us than winding our own, I think part of that is the thread weight. The Coats and Clark quilting thread I found very linty but other than needing a lot of cleaning worked well for a cheap easy to get local chain store solution. It was nicer working with King Tut or whatever but there is a lot to be said for practicality and being able to run out and easily get what you want.

I'll be trying Sew Fine for my bobbin thread on the Bernina. I bought a full cone of white which should last me many preemie tops to decide on whether I like it or not! My friend who gave me the Bernina says it likes Aurifil, I watch for it to go on sale and usually get that on Amazon.

With my old vintage machine, it couldn't handle the fancy threads well (but my vintage Pfaff can) and I never bothered with anything for quilting other than Dual Duty. Used it top/bottom/piecing/quilting for decades with never a problem. I've only been concerned with threads for the last 5-10 years.
    Old 10-21-2019, 06:19 AM

When I discovered Glide thread, I became instantly hooked! It the nicest thread for my longarm and comes in so many colors. It has a soft sheen to it and I love how it looks on every quilt. I use the 40 wt and buy online from Terylloy.com. If you purchase 8 cones of thread (9.95), they give you one free. I also bought her color chart and that has helped me immensely. The one color I use that truly amazes me is Military Gold. I'm just shocked to see how many times that color has worked out. My first purchase was of course white, black, natural, a dark natural, pink, purple, a soft yellow and a soft green (thinking baby quilts). Anyway, I now order 9 spools at a time and absolutely love their quick delivery and decent price of shipping ($8.95). Great product!
    Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 AM
    Power Poster

Glide and Superior. I have found Superior thread is cheaper on the Superior website then anywhere online. Glide is sold by many quilt shops and on line. I use the Glide prewound bobbins with Glide thread. That said there are many good LA threads to choose from. Isacord, YLI, Madeira, Signature, Wonderfil, Aurifil, Sew Precise, and probably a dozen more. I do not like white, cream, or gray color quilting thread. Boring to me. Why quilt if you can't see it is my thinking.
    Old 10-21-2019, 07:52 AM

My quilts are for use, not wall hangings and surely not for judging contest. The threads you suggest look like my machine embroidery threads with sheen. I thought quilting threads were cotton with a poly core. Am I wrong? If not, where do you find them? Also at this point, I still want my piecing to be the focus and not the quilting or shiny threads.
    Old 10-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    My quilts are for use, not wall hangings and surely not for judging contest. The threads you suggest look like my machine embroidery threads with sheen. I thought quilting threads were cotton with a poly core. Am I wrong? If not, where do you find them? Also at this point, I still want my piecing to be the focus and not the quilting or shiny threads.
    Go to the Superior thread website. They have a whole section on thread education. King Tut, a superior thread is cotton with no shine. They also have monopoly in light and dark shades and in gloss and matte finish. I'm like you and want the piecing to be the focus. That's why I like matte finish threads unless I'm trying to emphasize something.
    Old 10-21-2019, 01:37 PM
    Power Poster

I mainly use Coats and Clark quilting thread. I buy it from Walmart or Hobby Lobby.
    Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 AM

I've used Connecting Threads, Aurifil, and Craftsy, and have one spool of King Tut. All but the King tut are in neutral shades.
    Old 10-22-2019, 03:58 AM

I've been using Bluprint's Pima thread lately. You can get many of the basic colors in large cones at a reasonable price. I have a longarm and it seems to prefer cotton thread, or maybe it is just me preferring it. I like my threads to blend in with the top color, so use a lot of neutrals.
    Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 AM

I'm lucky that my Innova likes most all threads so usually buy cotton and their polyester threads from Connecting Threads as most all my quilts are gifts to other so try to cut costs without cutting quality. True, cotton is more linty but not their polyester. Also have Aurifil, bottom line, microquilter from Superior. I also use my embroidery threads which are 40wt when the pattern calls for it. The metallic embroidery thread works too. The only thread I won't use is regular sewing thread and serger thread. Find a thread brand your machine likes and stick with it if you can. Not all machines like all brands. There are some my Innova didn't like at the beginning from Superior but that may have been me when I was just getting used to my machine but I've never tried it again. Funny thing was.....its the thread that came with the machine.