Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple newbie questions about applique >

A couple newbie questions about applique

A couple newbie questions about applique

Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
One way that I learned to do this was to trace my applique shapes onto the dull side of freezer paper. Cut out. Iron the shiny side onto the wrong side of the applique fabric. Cut around the shape leaving about 1/4 inch all the way around. Glue this edge with a regular washable glue stick to the paper side of the freezer paper. Pin into place and whip stitch with little stitches, as invisible as you can make them onto your background fabric (with matching fabric. I really like YLI silk thread if you can find it). Then you could always use a blanket stitch with floss if you wanted to for a decorative touch. Oh, then when your sewing is done, make a careful slit in the middle of your applique (background fabric) and clip away the background to about 1/4 inch of your applique (on the wrong side again). Pull your freezer paper shape out. You may have caught a few places with your stitching so be careful and ease it out.

Phew, that sounded like a lot of steps. I do seem to be attracted to complicated processes. But this method makes sure that you don't have a raw edge.
lots2do
I hand applique, only I pin instead of glue stick, I use a really tiny blind stitch, try to do no more than 10 to the inch. I use the freezer paper too. That is how I did the one I am attaching, although this time I pulled the freezer paper out first, until you have appliqued for a while, would not advise that. I also use a product from clover called a fabric fold pen that is great for turning edges especially if it is a curve.

You don't always have to cut the back, sometimes, I leave a small area and pull the paper out before I finish sewing, you may have to use tweezers, but it does just fine. I do it both ways, but prefer not to cut the back. These rings were so large I did not want to do either so pulled the freezer paper out after turning under the edge and then pin, pin, pin to keep the edges tight.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26071.jpe  
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Okay, looks like I'm going to attempt the freezer paper needle turn method. Another question though; When stitching the applique piece to the base fabric, do you put the block in some kind of frame to keep the fabric taunt, or do you just hold the fabric in your hands?

Any suggestions on needles and thread to use? All I have is some cheapie needles that I'm sure are way too thick.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM

I don't put it in any kind of holder, just hold it in my hand. I just use applique needles that you can get at Joanns (don't remember the brand I just buy the package that is labeled hand applique needles). I just use Coats and Clark or Guterman thread. I like more of a "folk art" look when I do needle turn applique so I don't do the blanket stitch.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Okay, looks like I'm going to attempt the freezer paper needle turn method. Another question though; When stitching the applique piece to the base fabric, do you put the block in some kind of frame to keep the fabric taunt, or do you just hold the fabric in your hands?

Any suggestions on needles and thread to use? All I have is some cheapie needles that I'm sure are way too thick.
I just hold it in my hand, You would hold it like you would when you hand sew your binding, if you hold the seam edge away from you, when you pull the thread, pull it toward you and it should just sink down into the fabric and will be a little tighter, than if pulling you stitch away from the seam. I use size 10 or 11 milliners or sharps, Richard Hemming and Son is what I have been using. I took a couple of week long classes years ago from Elly Sienkiewiscz, she has written most of the Baltimore Album books, that is what she recommended at the time, they are longer than betweens.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I love the fusible applique. It couldn't be easier. The only problem I have is if I machine stitch around little pieces. Then it can get real hairy. But with a wall hanging you don't really have to stitch from what I understand. I to am a beginner.
At a quilt show in Montana there was a quilter working on an applique using the Steam 2 Seam II and she showed me that by stitching fairly slowly and ending with the needle down, I could make my turns beautifully without much distortion from the stops. I have used blanket stitch, decorative stitching, zig zag, etc. All with wonderful results. However, I did what she told me to do and that was cut out a bunch of shapes and practice, practice, practice. LOL
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

I am gone to be trying the fussable turn applique tomorrow on small leaves, I will let you know how this went. Penny
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM

I do mine the old-fashioned way. Needle turn. Its very easy. Say you're doing a leaf. Take the leaf and trace it on the fabric. Cut out the leaf with about 1/8" outside the line. Pin your leaf to quilt. Use needle to turn under to your line and start your stitch. Just continue until finished. When you come to a point its like doing a miter. Fold one part under and stitch then do next and you'll get a nice point. Very easy.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

I did the turn fusable applaque today and it turned out to be really easy. I did satin stich around it.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
I did the turn fusable applaque today and it turned out to be really easy. I did satin stich around it.
I am not sure I understand this method. I have done fusible and the machine appliqued, didn't care for machine applique. Can you explain turn fusible?