Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............ >

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Admin tries to not get in the middle of disputes. He likes us to settle them on our own. IF, for some reason, he has to, then he will. Something like an avatar, to me, doesn't warrant him to get in the middle of.
But yes, the person SHOULD have bowed out gracefully and found another avatar. Just a shame that they didn't.......

But, again....I really like those elephants!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 AM

I'm with beachlady- when people change their avatar I need to relearn them. :)

You get used to them- that's "them"- that's their pic. I know from the column on the left of pics who is commenting before I read their name.

I use my cars- this is my car and it makes me smile. It is also the pic on my laptop.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 AM

I'm sooooooo new.....so very, very new...but I'm a peace lover too. Yes, it's yucky to swipe someone else's avatar. I'd be mad too. How mad would depend on what the avatar was though. If it was clip art I found on the internet, meh....I didn't make it. If it was one of my quilts...yes, mad. Pics of my kids? Supermad. Pics of my pets? Pretty mad. Digital art *I* created? Mad, mad, mad.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 AM

I have seen that little Avatar and love it in fact I was going to ask here where she found it. I liked it a lot, but would have never thought about using it for my own Avatar. I can't believe she would not take it down and use something else after you ask her. Maybe she does not have any of her own photos. :roll:

Where did you get that little avatar, I would really like to know. Hey we could all use it as our Avatar and see how she likes it. :lol:

I love your elephants. Your Avatar should reflect your own personality.

I have changed my Avatar once, but I will say it does confuse me too, when people change their avatars. I like looking at the Avatars to see who has posted. But I am guilty of changing mine. Just haven't found one that represents me all the time and I don't want to use my photo.

The only ones that should maybe be duplicated are the ones that support a cause. One of the board members Uses a MS ribbon for supporting MS, I thing maybe sometimes we should do it for solidarity, but not permanent. My husband also has MS. It raises awareness. But I would ask first
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
PS - Admin's avatar is actually a photo I took and posted a while back as part of a family trip we took to a monkey park. Of course he asked before he used it and I felt deeply flattered and of course said 'yes'! :mrgreen:
:shock: You are the photographer of the big guy!? How super cool.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Could it be she was using the avatar previously, changed for awhile, then changed back wothout realizing you were using it?
Also, I do understand and would be miffed, too, but if the pic is on public domain, anyone has the right to use it. I believe I even have that same one waiting in a file to use but did not when I saw it being used by someone here.

Besides, I really like your elephants. No one else has them. Unique!

Beachlady, Would you be willing to keep your avatar even tho you don't live there anymore? We all identify you by it and besides, I get to go to the beach daily and dream.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 AM

It is hard to "re-learn" different avatars when people change them. About the only way to assure that no one will have yours is to create it yourself. If you take it from a public site, others will have the same access. If it is your original creation, at least you can claim copyright to it.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
It is hard to "re-learn" different avatars when people change them. About the only way to assure that no one will have yours is to create it yourself. If you take it from a public site, others will have the same access. If it is your original creation, at least you can claim copyright to it.
Moonpi, that's kinda what I figured too. I asked her nice, she wasn't willing and so I choose something else. But I'm glad to know how others feel about it. It identifies who we are on this board and I always look at them to see who is talking.
Thanks to all for thinking my elephants are nice. They are my love. I have collected them for years and I watch/read everything that I find of interest, and most of it is interesting.
To answer another question, I don't remember where I found the little smiley face; it was in my downloads and it had been there awhile. I thought it was very cute and represented me at my sewing machine. But I'm just as happy with the elephants. I won't be changing any time soon. :lol: :lol:
YTQ
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM

ytq- I heard collecting elephant memorabilia is good luck- but their trunks have to be pointing up. Is this true?

What have you collected?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 AM

If you are close to Portland you should volunteer at the zoo. I have a friend in Oakland that also loves Elephants and she volunteer at the elephant exhibit. She is there when the new babies are born. She loves it. So she is up close and personal with them.

Although I have to say I personally do not like or approve of zoos.
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Thanks to all for thinking my elephants are nice. They are my love. I have collected them for years and I watch/read everything that I find of interest, and most of it is interesting.
YTQ