Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you consider thread a notion?? >
  • Do you consider thread a notion??

• Do you consider thread a notion??

Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Your JoAnn's is wrong! I just did a SEARCH using NOTIONS on their own joann.com webite and thread is included. Their website should be correct.
    Well there you go . . .return to the store and let them know THEY define thread as a notion :)
    Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM

I worked at Joann's for many years and know this: the coupons and various discounts depend on the cashier only, unless he/she asks the manager(they rarely ask because managers consider cashiers too "low on the totem pole" to bother with.) Thread is in the notions section at all Joann's I know of, though it's often on sale when regular notions are not. Up to the cashier. Raise a little stink and they'll honor those specific-department coupons.
    Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Thread is considered a Notions at our JoAnn's, I just bought some and used the coupon on it!!!
    Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
    Power Poster

Hard to believe that a chain as big as Joann's can't get their act together on what is what!! :D
    If you ask me thread is a notion but my name isn't Joann hee hee
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Very interesting :) I'll keep this in mind and the next time I try to purchase thread with a notion's coupon I'll tell them that their web has it listed as a notion. Thread has gotten to be so expensive (like everything else!!) that it would be nice to save a little on it. Come to think of it our store has the thread and scissors displayed with buttons, rick rack, needles, etc.

When I was growing up "notions" were considered thread, buttons, rick rack, bias tape, etc., basically, anything that dealt with sewing supplies.

Our store manager is a "grump"....and always has a scowl on her face. She's never friendly and if she's cutting fabric, she doesn't talk to you unless she absolutely has to. I can see why the employees hate asking her anything...I know I do!!
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Does Joanns let each store manager decide what is what or is it controlled by the corp. office? Any one know.
    Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 AM

You are so right. In our area the only competitor is Michaels so Joanns is letting coupons be used for anything and they are taking Michaels coupons on any item. Every store is fighting for business so shopper beware
    Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Each manager is incharge of their store and is told to do what ever it takes to keep business coming in
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by fancifrock
    You are so right. In our area the only competitor is Michaels so Joanns is letting coupons be used for anything and they are taking Michaels coupons on any item. Every store is fighting for business so shopper beware
    Last time I used a Michael coupon at Joann's they would not let me use it on Fabric because Michaels does not carry fabric.

I know when I worked at a chain drug store a lot of things are store level discretion.
    Like when people would come up with 20 coupons for by one get one free (essentially wanted 40 items for free.)
    My store manager up a limit 5 offers (thats still 10 items free)
    When a customer contacted corporate they said unlimited. My store manager didn't care because corporate did not have to do our orders and have items back ordered for 6 months because people wanted to get rain checks when we ran out.

Ohh sorry about the rant lol but anyways my point was a lot of things in retail are at the store level.
    Unless you call corporate and get them to email you their coupon policy on department specific items then you may not have luck at the store level
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM

I am ALWAYS looking for a bargain-and hardly EVER buy when not on sale or without a coupon (and I shop at Joann's, mostly). I just joined Fons & Porter's Quilter's Club of America (a great deal!) and got (amoung many other benefits) a card for Joann's for and additional 10% off TOTAL BILL, SALES ITEMS INCLUDED. It means when I buy something with a 40% coupon, I get it for 50% off. Also, any regular sale items (where you CAN'T use a coupon) like fabric, usually 30% off makes it 40% off. The great thing is it gives you an additional 10% off your total bill. It was only about $24.95 for the year, so I have already recovered that in additional discounts! Worth checking into!