Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the issue with Purple? >
  • What's the issue with Purple?

• What's the issue with Purple?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 AM

I love purple too. You can never have too much purple.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:38 AM

A couple of years ago, purple was readily available - I can testify as I have an entire shelf devoted to purples. Of course, it can't begin to touch the amount of greens I have (and didn't even realize how much I was drawn to greens until a friend pointed it out!). Try Thousands of Bolts.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 AM

I am just finishing up a totally purple queen sized quilt for my DD who requested that it be just purple. I didn't think it could be done but I used the free pattern Wild Orchids by Northcott and was amazed that the only purple I had to go out looking for was a few lights. I live in an area close to some Mennonite shops (hour drive away) and luckily for me they seem to favour mauve and so I was able to pick up what I needed. I'll finish this quilt soon (our guild show is Oct 23rd and 24th) and try to post its picture. My DD will get it for her November birthday.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 AM
    Power Poster

fabric manufacturers tend to follow the annual (trendy- colors) when coming up with new collections...if you want to see what is going to be coming leaf through a new fashion mag....purple has not been part of the (fashion world) for awhile...now days it is more teal/pink/brown...but it changes with the times.
    you could dye some purples then try to get the interest of a fabric designer to expand your pallet :) i find that as the seasons change so do the pallets, but also lots of shops tend to carry what the owner likes, not alot of variety...there is one shop around here that carries very little in blues...i thought this was odd when i was looking and could not find a selection of blues...when asked she said...oh, i don't think much blue looks good in quilts....hmmmmmmmmm
    i know there are lots of people who do love purple, seems like there would be a shop or two full of purple :)
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I am just finishing up a totally purple queen sized quilt for my DD who requested that it be just purple. I didn't think it could be done but I used the free pattern Wild Orchids by Northcott and was amazed that the only purple I had to go out looking for was a few lights. I live in an area close to some Mennonite shops (hour drive away) and luckily for me they seem to favour mauve and so I was able to pick up what I needed. I'll finish this quilt soon (our guild show is Oct 23rd and 24th) and try to post its picture. My DD will get it for her November birthday.
    I always called "mauve" as being purple but when I ordered some "mauve" from Connnecting Threads it came as a dusty rose with just a tinge of purple in it.

I like using purple in little girl quilts and there never seems to be anything other than a few mottled bolts in the stores where I shop.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Trendy is the key word. Last year I made a quilt for my BFF and of course it was purple. I found so many purples I had wondered why I had never noticed it before. Now I am trying to replenish part of my stash and purple is a bit harder to find than it was last year.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 AM

I've been collecting purples...most of it I bought from a fellow quilter. I don't even like it that much, but my mom does, and it will eventually become a quilt for her.
    Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 AM

I found a couple of on line sites that have alot of fabric and I type in the search window the color I am looking for.

I go to http://fabricshack.com/ and http://www.bighornquilts.com/

They both have tons of fabric.
    Happy searching

Chris
    Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 AM

:) I live about 2 miles from a lqs where the owner LOVES purple and stocks a lot of it! I wasn't that crazy about purple but the more I go in there, the more I like it!

Happy searching!
    Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 AM
    Power Poster

I LOVE purples!!!!!!!!! The fabrics I look for, 30's and batiks have LOTS of purples, never really noticed about the purple!