Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilt label??? >

the quilt label???

the quilt label???

Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM

No rules. Sometimes on the back, sometimes on the front, sometimes in a block on the front. Whenever possible, I put the label on before quilting. That way it is much harder to remove. I use a Pigma Pen for the writing.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Back lower left corner, usually, because it's easier for me to applique it down in that position somehow. I usually print my labels out on my inkjet printer using regular fabric which I adhere to a piece of freezer paper cut to printer paper size. If these are allowed to thoroughly dry - as in days or weeks - before washing, they seem to hold up fine for me.

Jan in VA
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 PM

I put my labels on the back lower left corner! I use the computer to make my labels using the packaged computer fabric. There are some great sites on the internet to print for labels.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Like others have stated, I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way.

I personally like to hand embroider my labels and use fusible bond to attach them followed by tiny stitches around the perimeter.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
np3
Power Poster

On the bottom, could be right or left.....
Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 AM

I no longer make labels. I use a pigma pen and actually write on the quilt. Hey, painters sign the fronts of their paintings, why can't quilters sign the fronts of their quilts. I also write on the backing who, what, when, where and why. I sew a small square of plain fabric into the backing and then write on that.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

i know a quilter who cuts her binding strips, puts them together, presses them and then writes down the strip a whole story sometimes about the quilt...then attaches the binding to the quilt...it is really cool to sit with one of her quilts...realize there are words along the binding, find the beginning and start reading it....
for me most often i just make a label either with thread or ink and place it where it works on that quilt usually on the back. i have also written whole 'stories' to go with quilts...for the game quilts i printed out game instructions and incorporated them right into the quilts then added my name and date to one. i have written on the front of quilts at times and one quilt i (quilted) the label...meaning i started at the beginning of the quilt, quilting it and wrote the quilt story as part of the quilting. it does not matter how you label your quilts it is only important that you do label your quilts!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM

I always did lower right, too, as that is generally where quilt shows have requested it be placed. But I have usually oriented it the same as the quilt; that is, the top of the label is faced toward the top of the quilt. Then I saw someone's quilt label that was faced what would look upside down while the quilt was hanging, but when you flip up the corner to read it, it was just right! I'm doing THAT from now on - especilly for wall hangings!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 AM

I would like to start putting labels on my quilts, i did baby quilts for each of the 11 grandchildren, and are starting on college quilts (2 girls in college), I would like to know, what kind of labels do you all use? I used to sign and date the right hand corner bottom of the baby quilts, but would like something more permanent.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i know a quilter who cuts her binding strips, puts them together, presses them and then writes down the strip a whole story sometimes about the quilt...then attaches the binding to the quilt...it is really cool to sit with one of her quilts...realize there are words along the binding, find the beginning and start reading it....
for me most often i just make a label either with thread or ink and place it where it works on that quilt usually on the back. i have also written whole 'stories' to go with quilts...for the game quilts i printed out game instructions and incorporated them right into the quilts then added my name and date to one. i have written on the front of quilts at times and one quilt i (quilted) the label...meaning i started at the beginning of the quilt, quilting it and wrote the quilt story as part of the quilting. it does not matter how you label your quilts it is only important that you do label your quilts!
Game quilts? can you explain these? and what a wonderful idea to write along the binding!!