Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset >

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I was having therapy in the middle of the night last night. Hehehe Does that answer your question. Even when I am crying I can manage to quilt. I am a compulsive quilter/artis and have always been(compulisve crafter) from the time I was a child. I turn the tv on to a happy program like Hallmark channel to not fall into the sew and stew. I do not like to rotary cut but piece to get some peace.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Been there~ Doing crafts, especially quilting, is therapy for me. Me and my own space, stuff, etc. :)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quilting calms me when I am angry, upset, mentally exhausted from work, overwhelmed or any other type of stressed. I can sit down with some hand quilting and it's as good as the old Calgon commercial ... quilting, take me away!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM

when I get angry I put on some rock music like Toms Jones' what new pussycat? and blaste it up and do hause work, boy can you get those windows clean! LOL you can tell by my windows I do not get angry very often!! LOL it works for me, works all my mad out, then when I am too pooped to work up any more mad I can go sew and be nice and relaxed.
I do not want to be around any sharp pins, needles, or rotery cutters when I am mad, I could get hurt, really hurt, and I so do not like pain!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM

I have been doing just this. I got so bad my husband loaded up all three of my sewing machines and headed for the repair guy. One is breaking needles, one is missing the wire thingy on the tension and one was just given to me and the whole thing needs a overhaul. It was stored for 17 years in a storage unit and even the belt is dry rotted. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son's quilt is not going to make it for Christmas and he is not getting to come home until the spring. He has been put on hold for over a year.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 AM

I don't quilt when I'm upset. Since I usually am less careful and slice the fabric wrong. Or stitch wrong. Or go too quickly over pins. Or pull on something until the seam rips. Etc. So when I'm upset, I do something that's a little less testy :D
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM

I often quote to shut off other thoughts....mostly work related. But yes, it is definitely a de-stressor for me!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I don't cut when I'm upset, but I will play in my room and look at pretty fabric or browse through books.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM

It seems to me that you must be a very wonderful person those that mock us the most cannot deal with someone who does not fight on low levels. You have friends here that will lift you up and all I can say is turn off your journal and move forward. He cannot hurt you unless you give him the power to. YOU are far better than this person who thinks lying is an acceptable form of communication. Men with insecurity issues will try to pull you down to make themselves feel better. Don't let this happen. all I can say if move forward it may take some time to heal but you will heal. and we are here for you anytime of day :) Sorry from someone who delt with emotional abuse I have survived and met the love of my life because I left that life behind.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

That is when I hand quilt. I stitch up a lot of things in my quilts. They are my personal diaries. I can tell you what I was thinking when I worked on them all. No one reads it but me so I am able to get my feelings out and still have a beautiful quilt to show for it.