Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset >

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
I do FMQ and piece when I am upset, angry and in pain. The pain is aggravated by sewing, which makes me angry. :roll:

If I am upset about a certain situation, I talk to DH and then go work on a quilt. I do have to be careful not to sit and sew and stew about whatever is bothering me.
JulieM
How different we all are. If I sit and sew, I CAN'T stew about whatever is bothering me; just the act of touching and sewing the fabric calm me, thankfully!!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Does anyone here quilt when they're angry, hurt, or upset (when those feelings aren't caused by actual quilting)? Perhaps seeing a finished block you pieced gives you enough joy to not worry what's bugging you. Or maybe cutting fabric with the rotary cutter (with new blades) gives just a little bit more satisfaction while doing it when you're ticked at somebody or about something.
I love PP cause I'm a puzzle person....... you know, jigsaws,crosswords and I read scads of mysteries from the library. When I'm in that state of misery, I PP. The concentration keeps me centered on the pattern and I don't have any room to think about anything else. When I finish the pattern and my cup of coffee, things are a whole lot better,
Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

For me its beating on a piece of sheet metal. I will go out in the garage and start fabricating some body panels for one of the hot rods I work on, or if I am really pissed chopping a top really helps!

But it sounds like to me that your ex is having some issues with the whole relationship being over. And I know from experience that if you have money then you never let folks know about it. Its the ones that dont have it that brag about it a lot. I lived next door to Fred Smith for years and on the weekends he was always in his overalls and playing around in the yard. He looked more like Farmer John than the owner of Fed Ex.

But I wouldnt let what he says bother you, if he is acting like that then its good that he stays an ex!

Billy
Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM

For me, it depends on what kind of upset I am. If I am nervous (medical tests, trips...) I clean house like mad. I arrange cupboards, wash floors...my house sparkles. If I am mad, then I really can't do anything creative. I usually go for a walk or write it down, journal. I can only sew when I am at peace and then I turn on the music I love and go for it. Interesting how we all have ways to cope. Good thing we have ways to cope.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Does anyone here quilt when they're angry, hurt, or upset (when those feelings aren't caused by actual quilting)?
When I experience any of those 3 emotions I HAVE TO MOVE - usually by cleaning. I have too much energy to just sit. It's in my DNA. :)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Quilting while sad, angry, upset or hurt works for me. This has always been my praying, quiet and praise time. Sometimes I'm finished with a block without remembering it's done. People who put you down need to stand on your back to feel tall. I know it's hard, but, pray FOR HIM, and give this whole thing over to GOD, HE can do more with him than you can. Just QUILT< QUILT< QUILT!!! Blessings!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Yes.
as long as the quilting is not what upset me in the first place. That goes back to the therapy of it all.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
For me its beating on a piece of sheet metal. I will go out in the garage and start fabricating some body panels for one of the hot rods I work on, or if I am really pissed chopping a top really helps!

But it sounds like to me that your ex is having some issues with the whole relationship being over. And I know from experience that if you have money then you never let folks know about it. Its the ones that dont have it that brag about it a lot. I lived next door to Fred Smith for years and on the weekends he was always in his overalls and playing around in the yard. He looked more like Farmer John than the owner of Fed Ex.

But I wouldnt let what he says bother you, if he is acting like that then its good that he stays an ex!

Billy
I so agree!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
when I get angry I put on some rock music like Toms Jones' what new pussycat? and blaste it up and do hause work, boy can you get those windows clean! LOL you can tell by my windows I do not get angry very often!! LOL it works for me, works all my mad out, then when I am too pooped to work up any more mad I can go sew and be nice and relaxed.
I do not want to be around any sharp pins, needles, or rotery cutters when I am mad, I could get hurt, really hurt, and I so do not like pain!
This is how I deal with it. Crank the music (sorry not Tom Jones, more like Simply Red, Annie Lennox, Sarah or Natalie) and just get into whatever needs doing. Can't sew when I'm upset, rarely have been able to - I'm afraid I'd hurt myself or mess something up then be mad at myself 'cause I have to do it over. :shock:
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM

My son was killed by a driver who pulled out in front of him while my son was riding his motorcycle. I had some beautiful muted fabrics that I cut out for a quilt during the week before his funeral. I have been working on that quilt for the past three years. I am now hand quilting it. I call it my Sanity Quilt. I feel it did save my sanity during that time. I don't care if I ever finish it. While working on it now, I can think of my son and don't always cry, maybe even laugh at a memory once in a while. Dealing with the loss of a child never gets better, you just learn how to handle it better and quilting helped me do that.