Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM

I have a large florescent light over my work table and a halogen track system over the sewing machines. I was going to have my husband put in another halogen track system over the LAM but they do get too hot and are difficult and costly to replace. In the meantime, I have a cheap clamp on mechanic's light to put on the machine and it's working fine but looks bad, so I need to find a different track system.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by kathyd
I have the little halogen lights and they do get hot. I keep a small fan under my sewing table to cool me off when needed.
I had a different track system in my old sewing room that used regular light bulbs. I like that with track lighting I can aim the light where I need it most.
I also have an Ott light that I use when hand piecing or when doing hand quilting and I love it. My only problem is that I bought it quite a few years ago and I can only get replacement bulbs online and they aren't cheap, but they do tend to last a long time.
I found replacement bulbs at Home Depot. Also check Lowe's
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

NO on track lighting and Halogen..
YES to overhead and/or flueroscent!

If you have OLDER Ott lites, stock up on bulbs NOW...the new OTT lites are all going to be LED bulbs...sigh...that means they will stop making the original OTT lite bulbs!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM

My sewing room is about 12' x12'. I have a ceiling light/fan with 5 bulbs. The lighting is great. It takes CFL lights. They are 60 watts of light and use only 13 watts. They don't create a lot of heat. We got fixture and lights at Lowes. The bulbs do have mercury but Lowes takes used bulbs and disposes of them properly. Our landfill also has a proper disposal facility.
I have an Ott light that i use at night when working with black. (hard for me to see) It is only a small lamp but placed in the right place really improves my ability to see to sew on black fabric. I really like it.
Track lighting doesn't appeal to me. I think it puts other parts of the room in to much shadow. I like lots of light everywhere.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I had that same Problem. Either too hot or not good lighting... I live in SE.GA. At Lowes in Valdosta they have the Ott light floor model. My husband advice was your work is only as good as you can see. If the colors are not true with the other lights and they are hot or not good for see color it is worth the extra money. I didn't argue with him :lol: I have had it now for almost a yr. So Glad He got it for me.. I used to quit sewing when the it started getting dark cause the light was so bad and I couldn't see the darker or how true the colors were. Some people complained it fell over, I have not had that problem can turn it 360 without moving it. LOVE IT!!!! it cost abt. $80.00
BillsBonBon
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM

I have an Ott floor lamp & a small portable one. Love them both. It would be nice to have more. The bulbs have lasted me 3 or 4 years now.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I would go to a lighting store and check out their range. LED is a bit more expensive than the others at start up, but does not have the overheating problems and they are supposed to last a lot longer. LED is also more energy efficient, so savings on your utility bill.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 PM

I too have a ceiling fan with lights. The lights are the newer CFL and are really bright. Add to this, if needed, my floor ott type light and the sewing machine light and I am good.

The floor ott type lamp was from amazon.com and was a great buy.

Floursecent lights drive my eyes buggy! I hated working under them and refuse to sew under them in my home.

ali
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM

i have shop light fluorescent lites in the basement and they are wonderful clear bright light. I do have a wanna be ott light i bought at odd lots for my quilt frame and it is nice. I'm glad i didn't spend the $200 for the ott lite though - $30 is better. I may go back and get a 2nd one.

On my sewing table i have a lamp w/ a GE Reveal bulb - my absolute favorite bulbs.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I had an over head florescent light on the ceiling, two floor lamps with reveal light bulbs, a bendable floor lamp on my counter top shining a reveal light bulb down on my cutting board, a florescent desk lamp to shine on the other side of my cutting table.. Ugh it was horrible.. SO this is what hubby got me instead.. I put in the reveal lights and WOW!! What a difference!!!

I have a light- adjusted and pointed to the spots I need/wanted light!!!! Yay!!!!!

Portfolio 6-Light Brushed Nickel Fixed Track Bar
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149333.jpe