Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Major Winter Storm Coming This Week >

Major Winter Storm Coming This Week

Major Winter Storm Coming This Week

Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Central IN is being told to expect a major ice storm followed up with snow and there could possibly be significant power outages. I am NOT looking forward to this week, at all. I don't mind just snow but I really dread the ice. We are rural and areas with more houses get the first response when there are power outages. 6 years ago we had an ice storm in Jan. and were without power for 5 days. And in 91 or 92 we had an ice storm and were without for a week. It is not fun. I have suggested at times that we should get a generator but my DH just points out that we only rarely need it. Easy for him to say...he will be going to Orlando later this week on business and I will be here at home to 'handle' things. I am praying the storm goes a tad bit further south and we get only snow. Luckily, we no longer have livestock to worry about. It is just our DD (age 23), our dog, and me. No little kids at home like it was several years ago. Thank goodness for lots of quilts!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

They are predicting two snow events for us - 3-4 inches tomorrow and then the "real" storm blows in Tues night/Wednesday - early predictions are for 10-12 inches with very strong winds and frigid temps. I forsee some extra quilting time coming!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM

I'll definitely look at it as extra quilting time as I send my roommate out to shovel the driveway!...LOL
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Central IN is being told to expect a major ice storm followed up with snow and there could possibly be significant power outages. I am NOT looking forward to this week, at all. I don't mind just snow but I really dread the ice. We are rural and areas with more houses get the first response when there are power outages. 6 years ago we had an ice storm in Jan. and were without power for 5 days. And in 91 or 92 we had an ice storm and were without for a week. It is not fun. I have suggested at times that we should get a generator but my DH just points out that we only rarely need it. Easy for him to say...he will be going to Orlando later this week on business and I will be here at home to 'handle' things. I am praying the storm goes a tad bit further south and we get only snow. Luckily, we no longer have livestock to worry about. It is just our DD (age 23), our dog, and me. No little kids at home like it was several years ago. Thank goodness for lots of quilts!
We live in a small village & we were the last to get power! Go figure! Anyways, my daughter will be driving in this on Thursday with her twins to get to work. She drives to our home which is approx. 20 miles away.. then goes another 12 miles to her work. Worries me! Maybe she will call off...maybe!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM

In my part of Missouri we will be getting an inch of ice followed by a foot of snow. We bought wood this morning and went to the store this afternoon. They said it will last for days. Our high school already has too many snow days...June 1 is the last day of school.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 PM

As a part time Michigan person and the rest of the time in Florida,although we have been colder than normal here in the sunshine state I am not sorry to miss all that you have had to deal with this winter. Been there done that.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

It is about time we get our snow!! :-) Everyone else has got it recently but us :-( I know I am part of the minority, but I live here because I love the snow :-)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM

12 inches of show here may cause a day off school but more than that! It is a drop in the bucket for us northerners!! Wish we could pull it up North for you!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Barbfrugalfabrics, Marquette still gets an unreal amount of snow. They are in a litle eco system all their own. Our snowfall in Cadillac has been about normal which is less than 200 inches for the year. We've only had a few storms, more just steady snowfall. It looks like we'll sit this one out, too.

I don't mind looking out at it and walking the dogs in it, but I'm not a fan of shoveling or losing electricity. I'd better pick up some fireplace logs just in case the winds Thursday cause any outages. .
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah, I didn't mind the snow in Marquette, when I was 20years old. But now that I'm much older, snow doesn't interest me much anymore.

I think I understand why the snowbirds go south for the winter!