Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Are you old enough to know what these are? >
  • Are you old enough to know what these are?

• Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 AM

My mom used them too. She would sprinkle the clothes then put them in the refrigerator. The next day she would iron. I prefer no-iron fabric which the we didn't have in 1950. Both she and I hate ironing.
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 AM

I agree with you i am 72 and I remember all that stuff we lived where we had no power and we used iron 's heated on the wood stove and I wish we could go back to the 50ths Also going to the grain store and picking out grain bags to make our clothes 1.grain made a pillow case 1. a blouse 2 for a skirt 4 for a double sheet plain ones for dish towels the prints where beautiful you can find the kind of print today
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM

I have seen those around and seen my Aunt use them.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
    Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    do you girls also remember useing SUGAR in water to stiffen petty coats so your skirts stood out in a circle. haha... worked good till the weather was hot. ahhh sticky sugar... back then girls were not allowed to wear pants of any kind to school (where I lived) all dresses and skirts. hmmm yes. things sure have changed.
    Holy Cats - we used to spray the crinolines we wore - I just remembered that! How about argyle knee-highs? How about collars? How about the sweater with the matching cardigan, how bout navy blue and mint green combination, (Oh, I am loaded)! Bobbie Brooks blouses! The blue gym suits with the attached pantaloons with elastic on the hem of the pantaloons (short shorts attached to the gym suits), having to take a group shower after gym class and you were exceedingly shy (me). I am a product of the 50's. I graduated high school in 1956. I had a 1950 Studebaker Champion. (After I graduated, of course). Yes, and I remember no pants - always a skirt or jumper. I remember I had a purple jumper and a gold blouse with a white collar. I remember one of my prize possessions (I still have it) was a hand crocheted collar with ribbons to slide through the top and tie the bow at my neck to wear over a sweater. My grandmother made it for me. I don't think there ever was or ever will be a better time to grow up than in the 50's! Edie
    What a trip down memory lane - thank you! But you forgot the poodle skirts! My sister and I took the poodle part off and made snowflakes during winter and hearts by the time Valentines Day arrive. Yes, you are so correct with your statement about living through the 50s--a calm and endearing time to grow up. Nothing like the ever-electronically connected minds of today, along with the lack of modesty---but that is an all new thread one could create on this Board.........lol
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 AM

I am and I also remember using them when I was a young girl.
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 AM

I can see mine from here! It is on a "Sugar Free Dr. Pepper" soda bottle. cir. 1975. I'm worried it will wear out, or the bottle will break. Then what will I do???!
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Yes -- they fit into the opening of a glass soda-pop bottle to sprinkle fabric before ironing!
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Hey, is it just a coincidence that the ads by Google at the top of this page are for Coca-Cola and Pepsi?
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
    Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
    Does anyone remember the wire rectangular frames ladies would put inside pants(jeans mostly) before hanging out on the clothesline? After drying, you'd remove the wire frames and fold the jeans up. The denim was much heavier back then and would be so stiff after drying out on the line.
    Yep !! we called them"pants stretchers'. had small ones for DB's pants and bigger ones for Dad's. They are still in my mom's basement. we had a wringer washer until the late 60's. Clothes were hung outside unless the weather was bad,then they hung in the kitchen!!( think large farmhouse kitchen) we also had one of those folding wooden racks for smaller items. we had a fireplace and a coal furnace for heat.
    I have two of the sprinkler tops, and a pr of pant stretchers hanging in my laundry room. Maybe this time, my granddaughter will show me how to put my pics on the computer from my camera, and then how to post on here. She will be here several days for holidays, She is the mother of that beautifual avatar of mine.
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM

I just cleaned out the cupboard under the sink this week and saw one of those in an old soda bottle. I had almost forgotten about it. I used it myself. I also had a wringer washer for about a year after we were married.