Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I like finding fabrics in a large variety of colors and textures, not just what the lqs shop owner wants to work with. Friendly staff, Lots of books, good useful advice and classes that are priced so you can afford to go to them. Thread is a big issue here at our LQS and I can never find the right color or weight. I do a lot of applique, so finding silk thread in a variety of colors is essential to me. Lots of notions and necessities like cutting boards, blades and rulers. And resources. Like who in the area does Long Arm work, who does hand quilting, who is best at this or that and would be willing to help with a problem. I could go on forever, but you get it
Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM

There is one LQS owner who goes out of her way to employ quilting police! I took two classes there and vowed to never go back. I need support and encouragement not scolding. I now frequent a shop where they laugh with me, not at me! I love those ladies to death.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM

just a reply....i agree with most all of the mentioned wishes with friendly helpful staff at the top. also the mention of extra fabric to each cut..i usually ask for it and not the "jo ann cut" it is very frustrating to get home and after straightening the fabric i have already lost two or three inches. best of luck with your new store. i'd love to stop in if i am in the area..we are fortunate in my area as in a 25 mile area there are six great quilt shops that meet most of the wishes of shoppers
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Since I work, I would like the stores to be open later in the evening, to have more weekend classes available. Be open on both Saturday and Sunday. What part of the country are you going to open up a new store in?
NormaBeth
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy
I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!
I suppose you have figured out by now that this can was very big. I haven't been able to read all of the entries, but I would like to add that my mother can't go through any of our local stores because her walker doesn't fit between the aisles, also the nicest of our shops has a scrap box with little strips from the end of bolts and such but you can buy a baggie full for $1. Lastly our Walmart still sells fabric (with cutting table) but you can buy by the inch, Which in some cases that is all you need.
Nana Julie

P.S. Please make sure your fabric cutters know how to cut properly, there is nothing worse than getting home and find out you are short on one end of your fabric.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
I think this is a wonderful idea! Friendliness is always desirable.

Originally Posted by pattypurple
Our LQS has a monthy "tea". No charge time to get together. The owner shows us the new things in the shop, samples for upcoming classes and tells about other things going on in the community (charities that need our help, etc.). Then it is time for show and tell. Everyone who brings a show and tell item is entered in a drawing for a door prize. She has the tea in the AM and PM the same day each month. Remember the longer you can keep people in your store the more they will spend. On Tea day the cash register is going non-stop. They are also very good at remembering names of customers.

Pat
My LQs does all of this too! And the staff is very friendly but not talkative so you can't make your selections without all the interruptions. And they always have new samples of both traditional and non-traditional quilts. If I arrive 15 minutes before closing I am told not to worry... she'll keep the shop open longer if I need more time because she knows I don't drive and am dependent upon someone else. (She's awesome!) And I love a shop that offers a wide variety of fabric... not just the owners taste in colors etc. (Actually now that I think of it.... my LQS does everything I want in a LQS...it is my dream shop!) I am so lucky!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 PM

good lighting
Old 01-16-2011, 04:13 PM

people that want to help you pick out colors for those of us who are not that good at it. Just show an interest in people. The one I went to before I moved made an effort to learn you name. Then others took over and there ok but now I moved.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy
I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!
Yes, friendly people and clerks that know what you are talking about if I have a question or need a certain item. Also, chairs or benches to sit on. I sometimes have to leave early than I want because my legs/knees start to hurt (all I need is to sit for just a spell) and I am ready to go again.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM

I love a shop that is friendly and not afraid to inquire what I am working on. There is a shop in Maggie Valley, N.C that I visit at least twice a year on our adventures. They have a little area for my husband to sit/relax and are so happy to show any new fabrics that have arrived. I never leave there without purchasing more that I planned. Another shop, in Greengold, GA has gone farther with a small love seat, TV and soft drinks for my husband. Guess where he offers to drive to on outings? "I think that the quilt shop is missing you!" It also helps that it is near a really good BBQ shop. I have never gotten a frown when we go there. They even know him or seem to when we visit, SMART OWNER and STAFF! Did I mention that there are quite a few male quilters who come to these shops. They teach at many of the colleges and schools nearby and are members of the local quilting association. The shop markets to them and has classes for their students. They also have Mom & daughter classes in the summer and over school vacations. I noticed that one of the girls brought her father in so he would know what she was interested in and he assisted her on a project. What a great dad!