Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
I like to feel that I'm always welcome, even if I don't buy anything that day. A warm, welcoming environment is more important to me than how many bolts they have.
I definitely second that thought. We have one shop here in Dahlonega that you are treatred horribly if you just go in to look and get color ideas and please don't ask for a sample. She gices you a piece that is about a 1/4 of an inch or less. Our other store that doesn't sell the exact same thing will at least give you an inch strip.

This has been a really good b@#*h session as well. Need to vent every now and then.
Nana Julie
Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy
I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!
My husband is fond of telling everyone about Little Blessings quilt shop in Crossville TN where we spent some time at, just because it was raining outside and we were on vacation with nothing else to do.

They have an area for the non-sewers, usually men, with a few recliners, books, an electric fireplace, a coffee pot, some religious music playing throughout the store. He was waiting for me in the car when a lady came out and invited him to come in to the air conditioning. He was so comfortable, I didn't feel rushed, and I spent over $50 on future projects.

The cutting area had lots of sample tops hanging on the walls for ideas. She also helped me pick good color combinations and figured out how much I'd need of each fabric and then cut it precisely....not on an angle, not short.

I then took a picture of them with my phone to make sure I didn't forget by the time I got around to them. The fabric is still in my stash, but the next time I'm in Crossville, I'll stop there, JUST BECAUSE!!

I'd like to see a frequent fabric club that has weekly [free] drop-in classes for how to assemble different types of blocks (quick 9-patch, log cabin, etc.) and tips and tricks. Our volunteer sewing group calls it "show and tell".

If you want an example of how NOT to be, just go to JoAnn's!! I HATE having to wait for my number to be called, to get my fabric cut by someone who has never sewed, and if I have a question, the person has no clue.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Friendly, helpful staff - not snobs. - Cynthia
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM

I used to go to a shop that had a room set a side for classes, but 2 or 3 days a week different hours (some times am or early afternoons). Quilters could take projects (unfinished), in and bring in a machine or do hand work. You could ask questions of staff, but you had other quilters to talk with and ask questions of or help each other. Not only did I finish things sooner, but I always found new ideas and projests to do. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM

1. Friendly staff who acknowledges you - have walked out more than once when i could not get service.

2. Lots of sewn samples - LQS in Fountain, CO has wonderful, unique samples and friendly staff (the owners).

3. Good lighting.

4. Did I say good lighting? dislike dark shops where it is difficult to see colors. :D
Old 01-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by judi wess
Isn't Maggie Valley great? There is or was a steak house that has the best salad dressing, like blue cheese but made with gorgonzola cheese.
Where is Greengold Ga?
Sorry, but I typed the name incorrectly. It is Ringgold (Sew Bee It) and it is just off Hwy 75 going to Dalton, GA. They are so great that when i got home and didn't have enough fabric for a project , they worked with me on the phone until we found the correct material. She also sent me a fat quarter of a matching fabric. I called immediately and ordered another 3 yards of it also. I love the variety of their stock and the colors!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Employees that go out of their way to help!

I had a question about binding my very first quilt and I brought my quilt and instructions in and a lady (Sue) who worked there actually showed me with material step by step how to do it (all while the owner was telling her to just have me buy a book or pay for a class!). Was so incredibly nice and that has kept me going back :)
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM

OMG a pre-approved machine??? I wonder what's on the list?
Sounds like a shop for machine snobs to me. :shock:
Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the tips of the steak house. The shop in Maggie Valley is moving down the street into a larger building. I'm looking forward to our next trip there. I know that lighting was a problem in the old building but they used a lot of extra spots where possible.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM

[Jennifer22206]
(snipped)
Have some free sew-ins. The same LQS I mentioned above charges $30 to come and sew for 2 hours if you bring a "pre-approved" machine. Otherwise you have to rent one of theirs and it's ridiculous.[/quote]

Who's silly idea was it that your machine had to pass an approval test? Does the quilt shop sell machines too? They don't seem to like kids either...hmmm. :shock: :thumbdown: