Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 AM

i like evening and weekend classes so those of us who work can have fun too. i like the special discounts offer on a particular type of items on saturdays. like a percentage off of patterns and books one weekend, on rullers another weekend, fat quarters another...
i like the clerks to ask if they can help then back off if i don't think i want help but check again later to see if i'm finding what i want. that gives me a chance to change my mind if i figure out i really do need help.
i like an emailed calendar of classes and sales.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I like to be able to see all of the fabric easily. The shop near where my parents live has a lot of fabric but half of it is leaned in stacks that are hard to access.
I
I second this. I used to work in a So-Fro (YEARS ago), and we always pulled the end of the fabric around the bolt, so that about 1/2 yd or so was "free" to be viewed and felt (texture is imporant,too). I haven't seen this done in a long time.

I hate that in many places you have to remove the bolt from the shelf or stack to open it up and get a good view of it. (And then, you can never put it back neatly!) One LQS here actually puts an elastic band around the bolts so that you CAN't open it up. Hate that.

It takes me a long time to select fabric, and I do a lot of browsing, comparing colors, etc. I like shops that are more compartmentalized (like, an old house with lots of little rooms), so I don't feel like I'm being watched all the time by a clerk. I guess that's not necessarily the best thing for an owner, however, as you need to keep an eye on your customers!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
Our LQS has a monthy "tea". No charge time to get together. The owner shows us the new things in the shop, samples for upcoming classes and tells about other things going on in the community (charities that need our help, etc.). Then it is time for show and tell. Everyone who brings a show and tell item is entered in a drawing for a door prize. She has the tea in the AM and PM the same day each month. Remember the longer you can keep people in your store the more they will spend. On Tea day the cash register is going non-stop. They are also very good at remembering names of customers.

Awesome idea! I would give this kind of shop my business.

Pat
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Reasonably priced classes not requiring you to buy "all" of your supplies there.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM

I second what you say.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM

I second what you say.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM

One of my favorite shops has a free Sit and Sew from 1-4 on Sundays. I'm all ready to go, today! I so look forward to going and visiting while I work on a project. And, I seldom leave without buying something. (Today it'll be bobbbins).

One of my other favorite shops has classes on Saturdays in addition to weekdays. (I work so it's Sat. or nothing for me). $25 for the class and 20% off the pattern and/or tool needed for the class. I love one of her instructors' manner with all of us so look for her classes to go to.
Hope this helps,
lots2do
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Dislikes: bolts stacked on the floor, batiks not grouped by color, no space for classes (need space for at least 10 sewers).

Likes: shelves for new arrivals, pleasing displays and samples, enough notions and interfacing to buy everything for a bag project in the store, one late night or daytim sew in (great for getting to know other quilters and asking questions), clubs/BOMs with a show and tell segment.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

I am always attracted to a quilt shop where they have BOM the first one is $6. you have a compliment block that is $6. and I quarantee 90% will buy more, Also supply a live class to help with the difficulty of the block with tools to buy, and slso a buck a block. I was sold on this store when I first started my addiciton and they had me going every week one week an applique block for a wall hanging , buck a block and bom,.
A great way to attract traffic. I have to give the shop credit it is in Jackson, Michgan and Lansing and they know how to get bussiness, They also offer many classes and I am going to fullfill my New Years Resolution and take two.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM

I look for a few things in a quilt store. 1-The general atmosphere that everyone likes to be there. That includes how the owners and their employees interact and how they interact with all the customers. 2- a range of styles in fabrics. Unfortunately smaller LQSs have to almost have a focus or point of view (reproduction, batiks, Thimbleberries, etc.) because they can't realistically carry everything, but there should be a good representative sampling of other styles for those of us who may need a yard or two of something to finish a project. I ran into this when I was doing a row by row and one participant wanted 30's fabrics, which is totally absent in my stash. I went to all the LQSs in a 40 mi radius and none was to be found. I had to chance the colors and order online. I can't blame the LQSs. In fact at two of them I could cheerfully purchase 75% of what they have on display. 3- Along with many other posters here, I hunt for bargains. It's part thrifty and part thrill of the chase, but I'm more likely to stop by chops for a quick peek if I know that they often have end of bolt sales or more than a timid handful of 4 yr old fabric on deep discount. 4- and lastly, I like a shop that carries decent essential good quality thread, tools & hand needles that you will not find at a JoAnns or Walmart.

Diana