Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM

I love a bargain bin. I also appreciate a discount on the end of a bolt. I was in a quilt shop the other day and asked for a yard of fabric. The cutter came to the end of the bolt and there was about an eighth of a yard left, and ahe asked me if i wanted it. No discount . And so i said no. Why would i buy more than i need if there is no incentive? And now what is the shop going to do with that little bit of fabric? Either it ends up in a bargain bin or gets donated or something. But there's no way the shop gets full price for it. Why not offer the discount to the customer?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I have two LQS's witn in 10 miles. One is a cute little shop with lots of nice displays grouping fabric collections and/or kits and projects. It is about 6 yrs old and when I go in my eye finds something I've not noticed b4, likely b/c it's been moved around or changed. It's a great shop for browsing.

Now, the other LQS is about 22 yrs old and has tons of fabric. However there are no cute displays to keep me browsing. There are class samples hanging but not near the fabric. This shop does very few kits (I don't do kits but they are usually a pretty display) and doesn't have a spot for new arrivals. I find that despite all the fabric, that is lined on shelves on the walls with no break for the eye (no cubbies or imposed separation between the colors), I spend very little time in this shop. I go in, get what I need, and leave.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 AM

My dream of a quilt shop if I were opening one - is a corner where there is seating, books to be read, magazines for men(and women), coffee pot - with donation can beside it - and oodles of all the mentionables the rest of the ladies before me brought up - but make a place where people can discuss, visit, and just plain wait for wifey to get done shopping, and also so they are near enough if she needs hubby's input - yes, the soft music, and the bargains are great also - I know you can not run a shop with all bargains, but a good selection in every category is great if you can do it.

At my age there is a place that was an eating place and it has been up for sale twice - and I'm so tempted, but know it is silly of me to think about it - but there are no fabric shops short of driving 50 miles, and then if you are lucky the Walmart might have in some new worthwhile fabric.. a local fabric shop with all I mentioned, might be a come-on to some of the many quilting ladies around this area... what a lovely thought - but I think it might remain just a thought. I think I really want to retire at my age (67, coming up) and just enjoy quilting and making pretty things... make up hope chests for grands and keep up with the new babies coming up in our family - greats galore! So, my dream, but maybe someone else could benefit - best wishes on your endeavor!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM

My favorite quilt shop - has all kinds of project kits: purses and bags, wallets, table runners, tree skirts, etc. The finished projects are placed creatively on display. The projects are actually made by the owner / employees and if they do not like the outcome of the project - poor quality, hard-to-understand instructions, etc., they will not sell the project kit. It is great to actually feel and touch the finished product so that I know what I am getting - no more money or time wasted on projects that turn out badly!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Good lighting is so important. I have even climbed a ladder to replace lightbulbs at my LQS. The owner has become a good friend due to how much time I spend in her shop.

Originally Posted by judi wess
Ahhh, my turn...GOOD LIGHTING!!! There is nothing like picking up one's mood like good lighting. When in a good mood the buying mood kicks in.
Some upbeat and contemporary projects for the younger set. I just love to see what the "youngsters" are doing.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 AM

1. Don't make snide remarks about other quilt shops and try to build your shop up by putting others down.
2. Don't be pushy in classes for us to purchase things from you. One place pushed a quilting book as a "must have" so, in my newness, I bought it. Result: I don't trust her opinion anymore and won't buy any more books there.
3. Do be a little generous in your cuts. As fabric is seldom perfectly straight, don't give an exact 18 inches as half a yard especially when there is a lot of straitening that must be done.
4. Do have sales. Don't put down buying fabric online and tell your customers that fabric bought online is inferior. We will figure out the truth and not trust you. You can do better than discounting holiday or seasonal fabric by 10% after the holiday and we know it.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Wow - I wish our local quilt shops did that! I do know that the more ideas the shop owner can fill my head with, the more I buy!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Make sure you get the customer's email addresses and send newletters of classes, events, and expecially SALES! Even if I don't really need anything in particular, news of a sale at a LQS gives me an excuse to get out of the house.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM

An atmosphere that gives you a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. A feeling that the shop people are glad to see you and want you to stay as long as you want-- to browse or use their gracious help.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Owners & workers who are friendly; act like they remember you, even if they don't; are interested in what you are working on, or what you are looking for fabric to make; who remember that you purchased a $7000 machine from them, even if it was a couple of years ago. And everything everybody else said.