Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Service first and friendly staff who are willing to take the time and walk a newbie through fabric selection, etc.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I like sales from time to time, and i DON'T like when they don't cut straight!!

good luck with your new adventure.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Amen to that. Just 'cause I'm a bohemian, green, recycler type person, doesn't mean I can't quilt! lol oh... I bet the guys on this thread really relate to that as well. There's one local quilt shoppe to me that seems to only get to know you if you purchase a machine from them.

Agree here...I did find out LQS in our town but our Singer store does this....they sell quilting and embroidery supplies and offer sewing classes....well I have been going into this shop about 2X a month for the last 15 years - they still do not know my name; know who I am and I have ot interrupt them for service...I have never bought a machine from them and probably won't.....

I want someone who is approachable....who doesn't make me feel stupid because I've asked a question -

Hey I know - I want an LQS run by all of ya'll!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Soft background music, this seems to put me in a buying mood.

And if possible, an enclosed area where shoppers can park their kids to watch TV while Mommy or Daddy is looking at fabrics and notions. This I'll admit I've never seen anywhere except in doctor's waiting rooms and some auto repair shops.
That would be great. I hate to be in any store and have kids running around like wild indians distracting everyone.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

You really should talk to the shop owner about how this woman treats you. She needs to know that she has unhappy customers.

Originally Posted by leonajo
funny u should ask, went into LQS today,(I spend alot of money here!)and as USUAL the shop clerk treated me terrible, ignored me for 15 min at least, just talking to the ladies at the sewing tables about her projects and remodeling her kitchen. Some one else came in,(older and dressed up ) she waited on them, cutting their fabric. The whole time I was standing at counter holding my 30's print.After she checked them out, she finally ask if thats all I wanted, very rudly! The owner of the shop is really nice but I almost told this clerk where she could put the fabric! but I really needd the print for my new project. This woman treats me really crappy everytime I go in unless the owner is there. I live in a small town, do not think I should have to dress up to run to the LQS. I was dressed up today, I think the woman is a B*$#@h and I don't think I'm going back. it is just 10 more miles to bigger city. So to answer ur question, I would like to be treated politely, thats it, cut my fabric, take my money.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Our LQS has split steps. One side is a ramp. At our retail shop (gift), when someone in a wheelchair comes in I always let them know I will help them with anything. LQS should do that also, offering themselves as an assistant. Sometimes this means alot of footwork to continue helping other customers. But it should be done. Diane/Wyoming
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM

AHHHHHH!!!!! Ramona.
Love your idea.
We will all be there someday
some earlier than others.
J J
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Just an FYI...A new Quilt Shop opened up near me, about 10 minutes away....They are very small compaired to where I usually shop but what they have going for them is the varity of fabric, notions, and patterns.....They had their open house last weekend to meet the teachers, discount on everything...But the great thing is that this is a Mother/daughter shop...so there are two different views on fabric...they are friendly and asked what you were interested in or took advise from those who asked for something special...The shop is small but they have another house behind the shop for classes that is huge....So for me variety in fabric that changes often, supplies and large space for classes...and most of all friendly...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM

I just thought of something else. I have a local shop that sells machines and fabric. I have to run the gamut of machines before I get to the fabric which is in an interior room with no natural light. It's clear what the owner is focused on but since I am seldom in the market for a new expensive machine but always looking for more fabric, I don't go there very often.

One other thing - carry at least one line of good thread. Something that can be used for both piecing and FMQ. There are lots of great threads out there but it's hard to be sure on colors, and sometimes I need it now. If you have decent thread for a reasonable price, you would probably sell a lot of it.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM

..a dislike I've heard is that sometimes the staff comments, not always positively, on customers' fabric choices. For example, one person doesn't like darks or Civil War prints and she lets the customers that are buying these fabrics know her opinion - not a good move in retail!