Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 AM

A "husband's corner" with comfy chairs and a TV.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
You know, one of our locally-owned jewelry stores had a party one evening in the beginning of December. Women were invited to come in with their friends, have a little wine and cake and pick out things they liked. Then their husbands/partners could come in later and check their "wish lists" for the perfect gift. Christmas shopping: done!

I don't know how this would translate specifically for a quilt shop but it's that sort of thing that makes this particular jeweler stand out in our community - even though there are lower prices to be had across town.
That is such a cool idea. Would work for any combination of significant others too (Mother's Day, Anniversary, GF Bday, etc.)... I may mention this to one of my LQS's (the friendly shoppe of course).

Another idea that might be neat, depending on how much space a store has... is create displays that incorporate antique sewing things: old treadles of course... but things like old sewing 'birds', vintage feedsack quilts, old quilt books, Featherweights, etc. Might be hard to do if there's a problem with thefts (I cannot imagine folks stealing from a quilt store!).
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 AM

I went to a LQS when traveling through Mid MO. I was greeted at the door by an employee with a sale flyer and a tour of the shop when I told her I had not been there before. It was great. I spent $100 that day.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 AM

One thing NOT to do- I hate seeing the owner of my LQS because when I have a problem (I'm a quilting newbie who bought a very expensive machine from her), her first response is always something about did I use "cheap" materials. I don't buy much from Joann's, etc, but I can't believe everything they sell is awful. I also asked one time for a Moda fabric and when I expressed surprise that she didn't carry Moda because most shops do, she put her nose in the air and said "That's why I don't!" I have to drive a lot further to get to other shops, but needless to say, that's what I do!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
I went to a LQS when traveling through Mid MO. I was greeted at the door by an employee with a sale flyer and a tour of the shop when I told her I had not been there before. It was great. I spent $100 that day.
I had a similar experience with a new for me LQS. My DDIL & I walked in and the co-owner greeted us and asked if we had ever been in before. When we said no, she then told us where everything was and how they were laid out. Then said she would leave us to browse and call if we had any questions. She later demonstrated a marking pencil I had not seen before. Of course we bought stuff. Then she said I looked very familiar to her, I felt the same about her. Then before Christmas I went in again to get more of a fabric I liked. In the process of cutting my fabric it came out that I used to work at Joann's 10 years ago. She shouted, "That's where I know you from! You used to help me with home dec fabric!" If her store wasn't out of the way for me, I would be in there more often. Guess that's a good thing (for me) :roll:
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM

All of these plus - a straight and generous cut. Don't send me home to find out I lost an inch because someone cut crooked.

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Well it looks like the most common reply is friendly, happy, non-snooty employees. All the LQS here the ladies are not very nice unless you are a regular.

Classes for those of us who work during the week and having them be affordable. Since we will more than likely be buying our material from the shop the class needs to be a reasonable cost.
Most of the LQS classes are during the week, in the afternoon time and the class it self cost $35 on up. This is why I learned to quilt from taking classes at Joann's and continue to go there because everybody is nice. I mostly go to the quilt social classes which are only $10 for 2 hours.

A bargin/sale area with the prices clearly marked. One of the shops here has a small back room that has all of their clearance/end of bolt but none of it is marked. So even though I saw something I wanted I didn't buy it because it was not marked.

I have worked retail most of my working years and if you get it out, mark it clearly and put it up front they will buy it weather they need it or not. Want something gone, mark it down.

Maybe one day a month you could honor other retailers coupons, I know being a small shop you could not do it daily. Or have your own coupons.

Good luck and remember customer service is first, greet "everyone" with a smile.

P.S. If you do open the shop, you do know you will have to come out of hiding so those who are in your area can come. (hahaha)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM

I used to work at the LQS. The biggest thing is a friendly and knowledgable staff. The staff has to know how to do may different techniques and be friendly while explaining it to the customer. Samples help sell kits and fabric but have a variety of samples like a stained glass wall hanging, and throw size quilts in a variety of fabrics and pattern and skill levels. Have some in curves and some simple straight lines. You will have a variety of skill levels for seamstresses. Classes are always good. Offer several in different skill levels from beginner to advanced.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
It's called FANTASTIC FIT FOR EVERY BODY, by Gail Hazen. She goes into fitting a pattern to YOUR body and how to measure it and what kind of pattern to get, how to alter it and what kind of fabric to choose and what neckline, etc.

Marvelous book. I forgot where I got it, had put it away for later but when I started reading it I realized what a prize I'd gotten. I think I got it in an estate sale.
wow... thanks Ramona! Amazing things we find at estate sales. Yeah! I'd love to repurpose (update) some vintage clothing I have.

To everyone else: wow. What a lot of ideas! Great ones! I'm loving this thread, and I'm not a store owner (sounds like fun though!)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 AM

My LQS is great. The 2 owners and other staff are all super friendly and helpful, not pushey. They don't follow you around, but from time to time, say something such as, "are you finding everything okay?" They are open until 8 PM every Tuesday night, to give people who work outside their homes, a week night to shop. They offer numerous interesting classes and not just beginning quilting. Every Thursday is "Designing Women" day. You can bring your machine, quilting projects, crocheting, hand embroidery, or anything you are working on, and sit and work/visit all day. Or you can just go in and visit without working on anything. They have a quilting club that meets once monthly. They have a bi-annual weekend quilting retreat. Not too far from home but far enough, people spend the weekend there. They try, and succeed, in keeping something interesting going on all the time. Sales corner, lots of beautiful quilts hanging throughout the store. My favorite is the huge table in the middle of one area, that is full of big baskets with jelly rolls and fat quarters, all organized and color coordinated. It is so easy to look over these and find something appealing to buy. Good luck with your shop.