Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Soft background music, this seems to put me in a buying mood.

Actually ASKING for ideas in the shop as to what we want and what kind of classes.

I am 77 years old and love to make my own clothes, but it is difficult to measure myself. I would gladly pay 40 or more dollars for a private half hour of accurate measuring. I even have a book that tells far more than any other one how to and where to measure. I'd give that book (after they used it on me) to any LQS that had such a service. And in doing so, I'd have to search the store for pretty fabrics for my clothing, since I don't want to spend all that time on just cheapie fabrics. And of course I'll most likely see masses of other materials that would make lovely quilts that I just have to have.

And if possible, an enclosed area where shoppers can park their kids to watch TV while Mommy or Daddy is looking at fabrics and notions. This I'll admit I've never seen anywhere except in doctor's waiting rooms and some auto repair shops.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.
Amen to that. Just 'cause I'm a bohemian, green, recycler type person, doesn't mean I can't quilt! lol oh... I bet the guys on this thread really relate to that as well. There's one local quilt shoppe to me that seems to only get to know you if you purchase a machine from them. Well, I cannot afford a $8,000 Bernini, nor can I afford $14/yard fabrics all the time. To be fair to them though, they do a lot of charity support/drives, and I like that. If I hear about a sale, where proceeds go to a local charity - I tend to show up. But other than that... no. Pity, they're quite close to me. The place I like to go to is over 30 minutes from my house.

The BEST place I like to go, is in another STATE and I go there when ever I can. They haven't forgotton me, and always have a broad smile and family chit chat when I show up. I feel like part of their family!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I like to be able to see all of the fabric easily. The shop near where my parents live has a lot of fabric but half of it is leaned in stacks that are hard to access.
I
Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Soft background music, this seems to put me in a buying mood.

I am 77 years old and love to make my own clothes, but it is difficult to measure myself. I would gladly pay 40 or more dollars for a private half hour of accurate measuring. I even have a book that tells far more than any other one how to and where to measure. I'd give that book (after they used it on me) to any LQS that had such a service. And in doing so, I'd have to search the store for pretty fabrics for my clothing, since I don't want to spend all that time on just cheapie fabrics. And of course I'll most likely see masses of other materials that would make lovely quilts that I just have to have.
Ah Ramona... can you tell us what the name of that book is? I would love to find a copy for myself. I'm only 46 and new to sewing/quilting, so if someone such as yourself tells me about a REALLY good thing... I want it! Please tell us... thank you!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Our LQS has a monthy "tea". No charge time to get together. The owner shows us the new things in the shop, samples for upcoming classes and tells about other things going on in the community (charities that need our help, etc.). Then it is time for show and tell. Everyone who brings a show and tell item is entered in a drawing for a door prize. She has the tea in the AM and PM the same day each month. Remember the longer you can keep people in your store the more they will spend. On Tea day the cash register is going non-stop. They are also very good at remembering names of customers.

Pat
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM

On the main I agree with everything that's already been said - having friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and non-judgmental staff is key!

I also need a shop that stays open late at least a couple times a week; I'm SO fortunate that my favorite LQS is right across the street from my office, but many working folks would never have a chance to get there because they close at five. (All the LQSs in town do. Boo.)

Good fabric organization and steady turnover in the FQ bin are also helpful.

I LOVE walking into the shop to see one of the women working on a quilt! The owner and salespersons in my LQS all quilt, and when they aren't busy helping customers they're working on their own projects, or on things for other clients. It is so great to be cared for by someone who just stood up from a sewing machine. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM

Ah Ramona... can you tell us what the name of that book is? I would love to find a copy for myself. I'm only 46 and new to sewing/quilting, so if someone such as yourself tells me about a REALLY good thing... I want it! Please tell us... thank you![/quote]
------------------------------------------------------
It's called FANTASTIC FIT FOR EVERY BODY, by Gail Hazen. How to alter patterns to flatter any figure. And the author shows her own body in a bathing suit kind of underwear so as to show that ANYONE can make clothes that fit and flatter. She is proud of herself, though she must have passed the 200 number some years before. She goes into fitting a pattern to YOUR body and how to measure it and what kind of pattern to get, how to alter it and what kind of fabric to choose and what neckline, etc.

Marvelous book. I forgot where I got it, had put it away for later but when I started reading it I realized what a prize I'd gotten. I think I got it in an estate sale.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Friendly, happy to help salespersons. Classes for seasonal wall hangings, table runners or toppers for quilters who have neither time or $$$ for bed quilts every month. Project kits are also great. Please consider hours of op. 9 to 5 are hours a lot of people work. Maybe 11 am to 7 pm?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Friendly, helpful, but not hovering. Well stocked but not crowded. Variety. Classes with well organized,prepared instructors.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Don't have the bolts so close together and tight on the shelf you can't easily tilt one out for a better look!
Make sure all employees know what you have and where it is.
I love it when I ask for something such as tree fabric and they take me right there.