Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM

My favorite LQS does have a corner for the little ones to play...... I don't have little ones anymore but I love to see them happy playing while mamma shops.

Also, having a place to display customer's finished quilts is wonderful. Quilters love to have others see their work and who else can appreciate the work that goes into a quilt?

Having a day or evening for open quilting for a small fee ($5 is what our LQS charges) allows quilters to gather and meet others that share their hobby. People coming in the shop get to see what others are working on as well..... gets them in the mood to buy fabric and get started on something they've seen.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 PM

It might make a difference in the things you offer according to what part of the USA you're in, and if the LQS will be located in a large, medium, or small town.

In a rural town, it's normal to find most stores having "flexible" hours - which is difficult for a city person to get used to.

The location has to be chosen based on the customer base you want - and convenience for that market. Have you done a business plan and finished market research yet?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 PM

If it's not been said before, staying open past 3 or 4 PM, and have weekend hours. I work full time, tutor and have a 2 year old. I can't make it to one of the LQS's by me because they open at 10 or 11AM and close at 3 or 4. Only if I have a day off (summertime) can I get there.

Be friendly! I took my then 18 month old daughter in and the woman behind the counter told me that if she got loud I'd have to leave. I was the only person in the store! And all my daughter did was say "Mommy pretties" and pointed to fabrics.

Have some free sew-ins. The same LQS I mentioned above charges $30 to come and sew for 2 hours if you bring a "pre-approved" machine. Otherwise you have to rent one of theirs and it's ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM

funny u should ask, went into LQS today,(I spend alot of money here!)and as USUAL the shop clerk treated me terrible, ignored me for 15 min at least, just talking to the ladies at the sewing tables about her projects and remodeling her kitchen. Some one else came in,(older and dressed up ) she waited on them, cutting their fabric. The whole time I was standing at counter holding my 30's print.After she checked them out, she finally ask if thats all I wanted, very rudly! The owner of the shop is really nice but I almost told this clerk where she could put the fabric! but I really needd the print for my new project. This woman treats me really crappy everytime I go in unless the owner is there. I live in a small town, do not think I should have to dress up to run to the LQS. I was dressed up today, I think the woman is a B*$#@h and I don't think I'm going back. it is just 10 more miles to bigger city. So to answer ur question, I would like to be treated politely, thats it, cut my fabric, take my money.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM

sorry, still so mad made a double entry lol.

good lighting.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Oh, goodness. :thumbup:
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I think those who wait on the customers need to be friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. There's a convenience store I often go to buy soda. I always go to the same one, even if it's out of my way. The couple that owns it just make it such a nice experience, that I love just going to see them. They know how to make the right amount of small talk, and just make my day more pleasant.

Also, do quilting stores ever honor competitors' coupons? I've seen donuts shops do that, I don't know if that's possible for quilting shops.

Good luck on starting your quilting shop!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM

My quilt shop keeps a tab on how much fabric I purchase. Once I have spent $200 dollars, I receive a $20.00 gift certificate to buy (you guessed it) more fabric!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
It might make a difference in the things you offer according to what part of the USA you're in, and if the LQS will be located in a large, medium, or small town.

In a rural town, it's normal to find most stores having "flexible" hours - which is difficult for a city person to get used to.

The location has to be chosen based on the customer base you want - and convenience for that market. Have you done a business plan and finished market research yet?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Oh.. ask your frequent and good customers (those who always bring in WIPs or completed quilts to show off) if they'd like to make samples for the shop. I overheard one of the workers complaining that she didn't want to make this one pattern, because it wasn't her style (but it was mine) and I said that I'd do it, but she said "no, we'd have to pay you" The owner (luckily) was there and said that if I'd do the top she'd give me 5 or 6 yards of fabric as payment. They quilted it, not me, and it's their top, with my name as a piecer. But of course I brought in my friends and family to see the top I made. And they spent money.