Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.
OMG!!! You are so right! Just because I'm younger and driver a H3 instead of a mini van doesn't mean I can't sew! And yes... I have tattoos too!
YES!! I get this, too, at my local quilt shop. I'm young, I have young children, I have tattoos and piercings. What I hate more than anything is I'm spoken to as if I couldn't possibly have a clue what I am talking about. I am actually more likely to drive the extra distance and go to the "big box" store (Fabric Land, here in Canada) than my LQS JUST because the staff is so friendly and helpful.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM

My LQS employees completely ignore customers who walk in the door. I've been in there enough times where they should know me, but honestly I have walked in, browsed, and walked out without a single word spoken to me, numerous ti mes. I have to be the one to say hello or ask for help. Also, I have asked for opinions about colors and they offer no help. I would love it if, for example, someone would say "Oh, I know something that would look great with that, how about this?" etc. I am on my own completely in that shop, except when it's time to pay.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Our local LQS is very nice. Most of the people are absolutely wonderful with the exception of one who thinks she super special. My only complaint is that the store owner purchases fabric she likes and I cannot find any bright colors. Some of us really like brights and would appreciate seeing some!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Good lighting and a window you can get to, to be able to compare fabric in natural light. Notions. I'm a gadget junkie. I want to try the latest thing advertised in the magazines and at shows. I know it can't all be stocked, but have the tried and true things too, not just a few bobbins and needles.
Different brands of thread choices.
And last but not least: Don't be a machine snob or allow any of your employees to be one. If someone walks in the door, they sew. Period. It should not matter one whit to anyone what machine your customer uses.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM

I agree to all of the above and:

1) Make sure the staff know how to sew!!!!! Know how to make quilts!!!!!

2) Make sure the staff are as nice to men as they are women that walk in the store.....they buy too!!!

3) I go to one shop that I dread going to (it's so close!!!). They have a staff person that follows me around, always making suggestions (even when I don't ask) and will try to drag me from one end to the other of the store. She exhausts me!!! Always grabs books and says "you should buy this", etc, etc, etc. She's on overload....I hate it!

good luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Likes-1. Friendly workers,that know the shop
2.Classes that aren't just beginner classes,but not too expensive,and the instructer be prepared
3.Samples
4.Open sew time
5.Punch card and make sure customers know about it(LQS did NOT tell me about theirs because I only came in on 10% off day).
6.Good lighting
7.Reading Nook with quilting books and comfy chairs
8.To be able to rent Long Arm,for quilting own quilts
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM

I like great light, LOTS of fabric and reasonable prices, whether all the time or through frequent sales.

Mostly lots of fabric. I don't go to quilt shops to make friends, become part of a club or hang out. I go there to shop for fabric and I want lots of choice.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I agree with most of the comments I have seen expressed here. Definitely greet all customers even if you are busy with someone else. At least a small aknowledgement is nice. For sure don't follow me around - that's one of the quickest ways to get me out of your store. I think it would be great to have a suggestion box to see what classes people would like to take. My LQS seems to have hardly any classes lately - they have an embroidery club,new owners classes, and occassionally a well-known quilter comes in to teach a random class. i have been looking for a paper-piecing hands-on class for the last 4 years and they haven't offered it. I know the technique has been around for a while but I can't be the only quilter around interested in this class. Good luck with your business plans!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 PM

One of our LQS has most of the things that you all have mentioned so I know how lucky I am. She has an old wash tub that the remnants, scraps from cutting kits/blocks, end of bolts go into and you can pack a sandwich baggie full for $3.00. Her discontinued fabric is in the 'backyard area' and the nice sized pieces are rolled into 'orphans'. There is a tea room called 'The Fat Quarter Tea Room' that serves great food and desserts. The first Saturday of the month is used for anyone to bring in and 'Show Off'. Lots of classes going all hours. My favorite things is to go through her wash-tub and it just amazes everyone how much fabric I can get in a bag. I sit and roll the scraps into tight little bundles. I have had sometimes at least 2 yards in a bag. Merrily's runs a great quilt shop in our area.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Didn't read all the other replies...

One of my biggest wishes is that the store have at least one night per week when they are open. Our LQS closes at 5 pm everyday -- that's hard when you work fulltime! And they are closed on Sunday. So Saturday is pretty much the only time I can make it and usually Saturdays are booked with other things.

My LQS in Houston was open 1-5 on Sundays and that was great. It was a good time after church and lunch to sneak out and do a bit of shopping!

eta: they also had a twice a year fat quarter sale that I loved....