Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Lots and lots of sewn samples
Cheerful faces'
Kits
Good assortment of patterns and tools
Carts
ditto
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Everyone has such wonderful suggestions. I won't repeat all of them but I just wanted to repeat the fact that those of us who work really need a place that will be open even just one evening a week. And have some of your classes in the evening. I have not been able to take classes because they are all during the day, during the week.

Friendly staff is a must. I love it when my LQS's greet me by name!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

After reading through all of these, I have to say that our LQS is great.
They do have night classes and all different levels of classes.
We used to have an open sewing night once a month. It was wonderful. It did cost $5, but there were always snacks and pop/bottled water. Then it changed to $20 a month and they have food brought in for dinner. This made it impossible for me to go anymore because I just can't afford it.
Right before Christmas they had a Friday night and a Saturday where they did demos of different techniques and new notions available. Some women brought their husbands and then they could come back and shop for their wives. Most of the clerks get to know your tastes and when husbands/wives come into shop they can easily help them with choices. If anyone wanted to shop for me they would know not to sell drab, dark colors to give as a gift for me.
Men are always welcome, as a matter of fact both husband an wife work at different times in the store. All except one clerk welcomes me by name.
The hours do make it difficult to shop if you work full time. They close at 6:00 and are closed on Sundays. I do understand though because they have young children which makes it difficult to be open late. Sundays are out of the question because in this area it is all day Church and family time. During the classes that are offered I do believe that they would be happy to let people shop. All you would have to do is ask.
The punch cards were a pain in the neck for them. Now it is computerized so it is easy to track and is on your receipt.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Jim

Being a male quilter ....I like to see workers that realize quilting is unisex. BUT most of all I want to see friendly faces willing to help, not run when a customer comes in
Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 AM

Some LQSs need to quit selling most notions.Who can afford to buy them? I just happened to be in 2 stores last wk,one I will visit again.They have fabric at 1/2 price & it's a good selection,flannels included....friendly service & lots of sample quilts.
The other place barely looks at new customers,says nothing & acts like it's a pain to leave their 3 ppl gab fest to cut fabric.The clerk then asked if I wanted the fabric in a sack? HUH ? No...I wanted to carry it out on a windy,snowy day.Guess which one I won't visit again.They obviously don't need my money.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 AM

cluttery, too narrow aisles is a dislike. I personally do not like quilts hanging over my head.....

I do like friendly people who greet you as you come in, then let you look at your own pace.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 AM

I like a relaxing atmosphere without pushy salespeople. Last time I was in my "local" shop, which is an hour away, the owner was really pushing the newest Bernina. It was a total waste of my time and I never even looked at fabric which is all $11.00 a yard.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 AM

I like it when there are library stools you can perch on if you are looking through the bolts that are down at floor level- I dislike having to walk around with my head hanging down at belybutton height as I browse fabrics, but that is what I always have to to- likewise my LQS displays FQs in a unit that has three different levels- I can only really see what is in the top one. Ditto on notions- I was sitting on the floor last time!

I wonder how it must be for others who have serious mobility issues, and I guess lots of quilters do, given the typical age profile.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 AM

SadieMae,I heard of a LQS somewhere that keeps track...maybe file cards? of customers "wish lists".
A DH can go in & buy just what is wanted for Christmas/BD etc.Just like a registry for wedding gifts.Sounds good...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
There is an LQS where if the owner is in there she always has to conplain about lack of money one time. Don't even go there any more. Hate snotty workers. Just because I'm wearing a ball cap and sweats doesn't mean I can't afford to be there... Maybe I'm just relaxing or in a hurry.

What I like to hear is laughter, helpful tips, classes at all hours of the day and on weekends. Later hours a day or 2 a week. The $5/yard corner too!

My favorite that I see a lot is a couple of chairs by a window or the front door for husbands that get bored. Mine doesn't because he's too busy helping me pick things out and carrying bolts. :)
I totally agree with you. It is also nice to have someone working there that has a lot of knowlege not just someone who tells you what to buy in order to make a lot of money. Give common sense advise not high dollar advise. You do not always have to spend a furtune to have good quality.