Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Most of my suggestions have already been listed, as I'm a young quilter who gets treated like I shouldn't be there. Anyway, my greatest suggestion would be for your employees to know what you have in stock. If I come in and ask if you have Kona cotton in coffee, I'd appreciate someone being able to tell me if you have it or at least be able to look it up somehow. I can't tell you how many times I get blank stares when I ask about a particular fabric or line.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 PM

I would appreciate a table/countertop where I can lay out and test fabric "runs." I'm into bargello quilts which often require 20+ fabrics. It's impossible to spread more than 6 or 7 bolts on the top of a cart, yet that's what I must settle for at Jo-Ann's, Hancock, etc. Since well-coordinated "runs" can make or break a bargello design, I'm willing to pay somewhat higher fabric prices at a store that gives me the space needed to avoid making poor fabric choices. In the end, I think I'd spend the same amount of money, but less fabric would be wasted.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Kwendt, great list, spot on.

I would also like to see lots more free demos on tools, templates, etc. Not everyone can follow instructions from books, slip of paper - once shown, then I have the basics and can follow any instruction later.

A 'quilting book' corner with chairs so you can browse through the books comfortably. If I am going to spend $60 or more on ONE book, I want to see what is in it and whether it is worth getting, without stern looks of disapproval from LQS staff.

All bolts of fabric easily accessible - I hate having to go behind the counter of a LQS to see fabric, notions, etc. Moving fabric color combos around the store regularly creates added interest and it seems to make me notice (and purchase) fabrics previously missed

Oh I could go on and on and on...

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Likes: well-lit, fabrics not piled in front of each other so you cannot see the ones back, notions, more notions, and more notions! Dislikes: don't assume my two young kids are going to mess things up as soon as I walk in the door. I don't go into quilt shops unless I intend to buy, and I always buy more if the staff is friendly. But when it is assumed that my kids will make a mess, I leave.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM

A lot of the things I like to see in a quilt shop have already been mention. I have to say though that it would be nice if the owners, employees, and volunteers of these shops realize that money is money no matter who is spending it. I was recently in a LQS that was having an open house and one of the volunteers had a scowl on her face every time she looked up and saw me. Yet, the owner of another LQS makes it her business to know the first name of all of her customers, greets them by name when they enter the store and engages them in a conversation. She gets it!(and my money).
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 PM

sales clerks that sew/quilt and at least have half an idea what your talking about. I dont think you have to have ever sewn at hancocks, they dont know much when I ask them about a tool or even a pair of sissors that im looking for.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 PM

You know, one of our locally-owned jewelry stores had a party one evening in the beginning of December. Women were invited to come in with their friends, have a little wine and cake and pick out things they liked. Then their husbands/partners could come in later and check their "wish lists" for the perfect gift. Christmas shopping: done!

I don't know how this would translate specifically for a quilt shop but it's that sort of thing that makes this particular jeweler stand out in our community - even though there are lower prices to be had across town.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Have employees that LOVE fabric and other people!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

One of my biggest wishes is that the store have at least one night per week when they are open. Our LQS closes at 5 pm everyday -- that's hard when you work fulltime! And they are closed on Sunday. So Saturday is pretty much the only time I can make it and usually Saturdays are booked with other things.
Yes, this! With 9-5 hours during the week, a store basically guarantees that the only people that can visit the shop are those that are retired, or stay at home parents. There's a significant portion of the quilting community who work full time, and having just one day a week where you're open till 7 or 8pm would be a big deal.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM

All of the above plus a few others.....

*Patterns for quilts, totes, accessories, and clothes (fabric is not just for quilts even if it is a Quilt Shop)
* Long arm service - both pay to get it quilted and pay to rent by the hour
* Kits - lots of kits with made up samples
* enough staff for busy sale days
* food / cake / punch on special occasions - if I'm not hungry I might stay a little longer and buy a little more
* Open on Sunday - no use cutting off half the weekend when that's when most people shop and sew.
* Newsletter to let everyone know about sales, new items, and classes.