Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.

Even at 53, I get looks from some store owners like, "I don't know you, so why are you here?" I don't care what they might have, I won't come back!!!

Helpful with a quick question and advice as well as alot of classes is what I look for!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM

I work until 6 pm, so I like the fact that the shop I prefer to go to stays open until 7pm.

They also have a punch card. Once a year, you can shop and get 30% off fabrics, yarn and books/patterns if you filled up a punch card. I probably buy more, knowing I can get a good percentage off my total bill.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 PM

I spent $400. cash for fabric, the first time I ever visited my local Pfaff/Bernina store. I was not aware they sold fabric, which surprised me, because they have a beautiful selection of high quality brands of fabric.

When I got it home, I learned that they had consistantly cut the yardage to the inch, crooked. I needed about 1" - 1.5" of each fabric to make an honest yard. When I complained, days later, they blamed the manufacturer for putting on the bolts that way, and suggested that I purchase an extra eighth of a yard if it's that critical. I'll never go back. I'd like to think, you get what you pay for. I wish I had a nice LQS to support. I'm not looking for freebies. I am willing to pay $8 - $10 per yard, but I expect a full usable yard. Checks and plaids are no exception. It's up to the person at the cutting counter to make an honest cut. @ $10.00 per yard, 1" cost's .28 ... who should pay for the wasted inch when it's cut crooked? You would think, the person who makes the crooked cut. It only takes a minute to straighten out the first cut on the bolt, so everyone wins.
As consumers we are not given the option to pay by the inch... we have to buy an extra 4.5" for $1.25. Math is a big part of quilting. The stores are well aware of the costs. I don't expect the store to give me anything for free, just give me an honest cut.

Stores like JoAnn's and especially Walmart have ruined America. They put all the little guys out of business selling cheap imports. Small businesses used to be the backbone of our country. Now we are left without a backbone and wonder why our economy is failing. Who can compete with slave labor? There is no free lunch. Someone is being cheated if you get a deal that's too good to be true.

Remember "cloth world" and "house of fabrics"? They are gone, JoAnn ate them.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Always appreciate a comfy spot to sit for a bit and peruse a book or look at leisure at the quilts on display. I have a really bad back and hip and I just cant stand or walk around for a long time so a little resting spot would be so much enjoyed and I could stay longer and shop more!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1. At least one chair not used in a display--I can't stand long enough to see all the things in a shop. Something near the books/patterns is nice, along with a small table.

2. Really care about customers. Welcome them when they come in and ask, "have you something particular in mind today or would you prefer to wander on your own?"

3. A variety of classes at reasonable prices.

4. Regular sales that are real sales, not just come-ons.

5. Friendly, supportive help.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1. At least one chair not used in a display--I can't stand long enough to see all the things in a shop. Something near the books/patterns is nice, along with a small table.

2. Really care about customers. Welcome them when they come in and ask, "have you something particular in mind today or would you prefer to wander on your own?"

3. A variety of classes at reasonable prices.

4. Regular sales that are real sales, not just come-ons.

5. Friendly, supportive help.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM

I am considering buying an existing quilt shop. It's the only one in the area. Could it be successful? Is it safe to invest in in these times? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thnx.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy
I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!
We need one in our town please come to South Africa and open it here
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by purplepamela
I haven't read all of the responses, but one of my biggest wishes is that people wouldn't judge you by what you look like or what you are wearing. My DH and i enjoy motorcycle riding, we really like two lane roads in the country, some of my favortie LQS have been found on these rides. Alot of the shops act like they don't even want us in the store much less have to talk to us. Bikers quilt too.

Friendly, not overbearing, employees that don't mind when you ask questions are probably at the top of my list. Ones that really listen to what you have to say. Good selection of fabric in a variety of price ranges, not everyone has the same budget. Also willing to add suggestions to make your projects easier and better. Don't mind if you look for a while.
Applause! Applause!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
Originally Posted by arlm4
I am a LQS owner and am disappointed by many of the comments. I would love to have sales every week and give freebies and free classes and free demos, etc. Unfortunately, if iI did this, there would be no LQS.

It is reasonable to expect that you will be treated courteously and with respect! Absolutely! Please realize that LQS owners are just trying to keep their business afloat also.
I think what many people are saying here is what their dream LQS would look like. I encourage all my beginning quilters to shop locally so we don't lose any more of our wonderful LQS.
Oh yes... I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. And also... I wouldn't really expect any particular LQS to do all freebies, %offs, etc. all the time, on everything. You are right, of course they cannot do all those things and survive to pay the rent and put food on the table.

I believe we're listing all the many things that we've experienced (or wished we had!) that would help the original poster of this thread make some decisions about what options she/he can impliment given their particular circumstances. Maybe we've helped some other shop owners on this board, re-think priorities or helped those of us who work in shops to remember the importance of a simple smile.

We did get off on some rants... but then we always do that! LOL :-) Most of those are based on less than steller experiences from our points of view. And actually, this has helped me to realize that I contribute to my own 'worst' experiences sometimes... by simply not communicating my desires in a way that's understood.

Case in point: Today, I was at the sew store... and the person I normally deal with was short with me. I thought... what's up, is he being snooty all of a sudden? Why is he acting like he wants none of my babylock "extra feet" business? So I started to get a bit snooty myself in reaction. Somebody tell me, What was I thinking!?

Then he turned back towards me and said sheepishly, that he was sorry... but he had about 50 people coming in for the ASG meeting in 20 minutes and the back room hadn't been set up yet. (The place was busy!). Could I come back with him while he set up chairs, and he could talk more about the pros/cons of the feet I was considering to purchase. Ooops, let me tell you, I felt really bad. So I immediately apologized for my own attitude and said... no problem... and also told him to please feel free to tell me when things were crazy, or he had other duties he had to get to... I can wait. (And if I can't, someone else can ring me up.. I'm not picky and they are not on commission!). We set up chairs and I got my answers .... and some fresh coffee, I might add!

I thought of this thread and smiled to myself.

Never too old, or young, to learn - I guess.