Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by danece
I go along with kwendt, she has said it all, we like to have a group a friendly ladies who not only know how to cut fabric, smile and talk at the same time, but we really enjoy a group of ladies who understand when you go in in a panic and tell them you need to finish a quilt by Saturday and steer you to the area that has just the right fabric to go with almost finished top you brought with you because you didn' purchase enough fabric for in the first place, by the way I am discribing the shop I go in Clovis, CA :-D
So funny-cute! I have done this! On vacation! And the nice shop owner, spent 40 minutes with me finding just the right tonal and scale match needed. Her shop was amazing in that she had every blender, tonal, colorway family known to mankind. And was able to ask questions, narrow down some choices and then pulled bolts. All of her choices were workable... and I bought yardage of the two that most 'popped' to me, plus one totally different and unexpected color choice that she simply asked me to 'consider something a little different'. I bought that too. (Need I mention which fabric actually made it into the quilt? Her unusual color choice-of course, it was STELLER.)

Um... She also had the most lovely selection of unusual Asians... and I'm not into Asians. But I just HAD to buy some of those too! lol..... The LQS was "Nancy's" on Belmont? Belmount? Street in Belfast, Maine. Roadside Quilt shoppe... extroidinary fabrics.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM

There is a local quilt shop where I live that I was vey disappointed in. It is a wonderful shop but both times I went to there I was treated me like I probably didn't have a clue! I've been quilting for years and can even afford their high end prices, but I won't go back. Just be friendly and never ever pre judge a customer. I think its wonderful to find young girls on this site who are quilters. A good shop owner will embrace that and encourage and be mentors to the younger generation or anyone who has an interest in the craft.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 AM

*The staff at my fav LQS greets me immediately, offers assistance, then lets me browse, occasionally checking to see if I'm finding what I need.
*Record of yardage bought is recorded (computer now, recipe card box with 3 x 5 cards prior to the computer) & at 50 yds, $15.00 free merchandise offered.
*Monthly email newsletter includes a % discount on FQs, yardage, notions, a class, or maybe a pattern or book - different item each month.
*They have a small "kid corner" & a chair for waiting husbands, friends, etc.
*Back room tables, mats, rulers, are free to be used whenever no class is in session.
*There is always coffee, water, tea available for shoppers (prefer we drink in the kitchen/table area, of course).
*They also give discount in one's birthday month - 1 time shopping trip, not all month, 1% per year of age up to 20%. I keep a running list of wants, not necessarily needs and add to my notions, thread, quilt books, FQ's, stash, rulers, blades for rotary cutter, & buy in birthday month. I spent almost $300 in Dec on my 2010 birthday trip.
*We get 10% discount on purchases the day of a class we've paid for & attend.
*2 carts to peruse: 1) scraps @ $5.00 per pound, 2) finish-the-bolt & get 15% discount on bolts with small yardage left.
*markdown wall - leftover Christmas, etc.
Just a few of the perks that encourage me to shop there.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 AM

Do your due diligence and ask alot of questions. Make sure the numbers make sense. If its a distressed business be very careful, the reason for selling may not be what they tell you it is.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 AM
QM
Power Poster

If anyone is in my area, my LQS owner, Sue, is a gem. Textile Traditions, Weaverville CA. The store is small, but has a nice selection and wonderful people.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

8-) Hi all love your suggestions all are good. One of the things I would like is for the staff to know what they have. This weekend my DH and I went to LQS for a list of things I wanted. One of the things was grips for the back of the ruler to help keep it in place when you are cutting. We couldn't find this perticular item. Finally I was able to corall a clerk and she said that she had never heard of invisable grips. She then took me over to a display said maybe something there would work, and she went on her way. As I wanted quite a few other things I also went looking around the store. Not long after that my DH came up to me with something in his hand and asked me if that was what I was looking for...........it was. It was in the display she had taken me to but was so small that I couldn't see it. My DH played detective and stood there until he found it. I also wanted a darning foot. They do sell some machines and they do have some different feet. The same clerk told me that they don't sell parts for machines. When I told her that I had purchased a walking foot a couple of weeks ago from them she said well then go look in the same place (I had but there was no darning foot). She also said that I should go on line and order it. I asked another clerk for some help and she said she was going on break and couldn't help me. When I turned around someone else asked her a question and she took the time to help her. Was there a reason that she couldn't ask some other clerk to help me? As it was I spent over a $100.00 and probably would have spent more if I could have had more help. When a sale is going on I feel that extra help should be added. I have been going to this LQS for a long time and I don't believe that anyone knows or cares what my name is, just that my money is green. Sorry about the venting but as this is the only shop in town I feel as if I am stuck. Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
*The staff at my fav LQS greets me immediately, offers assistance, then lets me browse, occasionally checking to see if I'm finding what I need.
*Record of yardage bought is recorded (computer now, recipe card box with 3 x 5 cards prior to the computer) & at 50 yds, $15.00 free merchandise offered.
*Monthly email newsletter includes a % discount on FQs, yardage, notions, a class, or maybe a pattern or book - different item each month.
*They have a small "kid corner" & a chair for waiting husbands, friends, etc.
*Back room tables, mats, rulers, are free to be used whenever no class is in session.
*There is always coffee, water, tea available for shoppers (prefer we drink in the kitchen/table area, of course).
*They also give discount in one's birthday month - 1 time shopping trip, not all month, 1% per year of age up to 20%. I keep a running list of wants, not necessarily needs and add to my notions, thread, quilt books, FQ's, stash, rulers, blades for rotary cutter, & buy in birthday month. I spent almost $300 in Dec on my 2010 birthday trip.
*We get 10% discount on purchases the day of a class we've paid for & attend.
*2 carts to peruse: 1) scraps @ $5.00 per pound, 2) finish-the-bolt & get 15% discount on bolts with small yardage left.
*markdown wall - leftover Christmas, etc.
Just a few of the perks that encourage me to shop there.
wow... I wish I lived in Montana! Not only could I make a lot of quilts and they'd get used (cause there's an actual 'winter' in Montana...not so where I live) and there's a great LQS to drive one's 4x4 over and browse! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I like employees who don't mind my QUESTIONS and don't mind helping me find things or helping me figure amounts of fabric, I need. As a beginner, I don't automatically know all the ins and outs and all the fast measuring skills and formulas. If they act grouchy and like I am BOTHERING them, hey, I'll go somewhere else. The girls at JoAnn's in our town have always been really good to help - I hope the new owners don't ruin that for us.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM

easy access into and out of building,were not getting any younger AND if we do need a walker have store large enough to accomadate. bright bright light so when I get home what I thought was purple doesn't turn out brown when I get it home. and Just your general nice and friendly employs
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I like the one on one service but not the stuck up snob who is there because she needs a hobby but no a job. The one who will do her own thing and ignore the customer. The classes that are useful not just what some think we want. Classes like how to actually use FMQ not stitch in the ditch.
I am really excited to see your post about classes on how to actually use FMQ. I am in the proscess of puting classes together to reach out to as many quilt shops as possible to teach the beginer on how to FMQ and not in the ditch. I have been hoping this would be something people would enjoy. Thanks so much.