Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by samifel
Becky, I have been quilting for more years than I like to remember. My seams are not even 1/4 inch, because the foot under my machine is wider. My seams are more like 1/3 inch. My binding is put on completely different. I use 3 inch binding, I don't fold it in half and my corners are never mitered. I donate many of my quilts for worthy causes. Many make $1000 for the group. Do I like quilting...yes....are they perfect NO!!!!....are they warm and nice...yes. Don't worry about perfection, it's not to be had. Enjoy how you feel when you have completed a quilt and if it is given how much the person recieving it appreciates it. Keep quilting and be happy!!!!!
Oh, I know my quilts aren't perfect in construction and I don't care about that. But they are perfect for whatever purpose I have made them. I got to thinking about the concept of perfection after watching a tutorial online and the instructor was soooo into perfection, I thought that some of this stuff has just gotten out of hand. Know what I mean? Good grief!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM

When I get stressed about my lack of perfection in my quilts, I make crumb blocks ala Bonnie Hunter. My points are usually all there, sometimes not. I love to make quilts, most of them go to either children or Quilts of Valor; they don't care if they are perfect, only comforting.
Sharon W.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

My feeling is the quilts I make for my family are made for something to remember me by. I don't make heirlooms.

76 and counting
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM

I quilt for fun and a since of accomplishment. I see all my imperfections and wonder if my quilt will be good enough to give away. Then when it is done and I step back all the imperfections disappear. I know that I will never be famous but my family loves them and I have helped out our church with all the ones I have made for them to auction or raffle off.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM

If and when you hit perfection, you'd best be prepared to hide. A lot of hiding. God doesn't take competition very well.....lol!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Very good points. Perfection just doesn't happen for me, and I've long since stopped trying to achieve it. It is a process, an outlet...in other words, a hobby. A hobby is meant to be enjoyed, not lose sleep over. IMHO, a quilter with a dusty seam ripper that is hidden beneath layers of cobwebs is a happy quilter!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Rosy, You are a wise woman who has a way with words.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM

I have never made a perfect quilt, but I can say that every quilt I have made is unique, because no one else can put it together with the same boo-boos that I have. And no one has ever returned one of them, because they found a boo-boo in it. Just enjoy the creation.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
Oh my, perfection, not in a million years. I once made a quilt that just would not square up but I finished it anyway. I lovingly gave it to my three dogs for a bed and that old quilt is now ten years old and the dogs take very good care of it. So-----------------perfection, no, but my little dogs didn't mind one little bit. I look at this old quilt every time I start a new top and give myself permission to just enjoy what I am doing and making sure I am pleased when it is finished.
My sister has a hissy fit every time she visits me because she sees the dogs laying on a hand made quilt. I never saw the need to tell her why my little dogs have such a lovely bed. I do however, agree with one of the quilters who said she had to teach you in the best possible fashion and that means perfect 1/4 seams, less a thread or two. I would be very disappointed to take a quilting class and not be taught by a really good teacher. (Very good my teachers don't come home with me, huh?)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

You should quilt for fun and enjoyment while trying to cut things properly, sew a 1/4 inch seam, piece your block together as best you can, pick a good backing, sandwich it as best you can and quilt it to your desire. Wow that is a lot of work to worry whether it is perfect or not. Do the best you can and enjoy what you are doing.