Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM

I come to you again, with a problem or concern. I finally got a featherweight off of ebay yesterday, and here's the description.

"Vintage Black Singer Featherweight sewing machine Serial Number AE062832. According to the websites I looked at the serial number indicates that this machine was made in 1935-1936. Motor still works and comes with original case as well as some additional accessories as pictured in the fourth picture. This tray sits on in the case. I don't know how well it sews but it does turn on. Comes with everything pictured. Happy to answer any questions you have! Shipping cost includes insurance."

Okay, here's the problem, when I pushed the foot pedal, the needle did not go up and down. The wheel did go around. I wrote to the seller to tell him of this problem and suggested it could have been a result of the shipping. I am waiting for his response but worry he'll have some reason to say he's not responsible. He did not specifically mention the needle going up and down, just that the motor worked. Am I crazy for assuming the needle part would have worked too?

If he agrees there is a problem, what should I expect should be done?

Also, it seems to have grease on the outside and after looking at Billy's tute, wondered if there is something else I can use besides turpentine to clean it off.

For those who wanted to know, I'm still waiting on hearing from the #1 is a VS II,
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html

and hate to give up on not having a treadle, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fuo/2542694432.html , but space concerns is stopping me right now. :-(
Old 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I come to you again, with a problem or concern. I finally got a featherweight off of ebay yesterday, and here's the description.

"Vintage Black Singer Featherweight sewing machine Serial Number AE062832. According to the websites I looked at the serial number indicates that this machine was made in 1935-1936. Motor still works and comes with original case as well as some additional accessories as pictured in the fourth picture. This tray sits on in the case. I don't know how well it sews but it does turn on. Comes with everything pictured. Happy to answer any questions you have! Shipping cost includes insurance."

Okay, here's the problem, when I pushed the foot pedal, the needle did not go up and down. The wheel did go around. I wrote to the seller to tell him of this problem and suggested it could have been a result of the shipping. I am waiting for his response but worry he'll have some reason to say he's not responsible. He did not specifically mention the needle going up and down, just that the motor worked. Am I crazy for assuming the needle part would have worked too?

Also, it seems to have grease on the outside and after looking at Billy's tute, wondered if there is something else I can use besides turpentine to clean it off.
I don't recall reading anything about turpentine. Kerosene is the cleaner that is used, from what I recall.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I found a list I printed out where someone listed the differences between the 15's. Mine is a 15-91 and best of all it was given to me by my dear friend, Polly. So can you guess the 15's name? lol
Sarah? :lol:
Celeste.. you are naughty :-D
Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

For those who wanted to know, I'm still waiting on hearing from the #1 is a VS II,
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html

and hate to give up on not having a treadle, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fuo/2542694432.html , but space concerns is stopping me right now. :-(
It sounds like the handwheel could have been turned in shipping, like when you do to disengage the sewing to fill a bobbin. Try turning only the center part of the handwheel to try to engage the sewing.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
I don't recall reading anything about turpentine. Kerosene is the cleaner that is used, from what I recall.
Ooops, there I go again! I'll be sure to take the list with me when I go shopping! :oops: :oops:
Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
It sounds like the handwheel could have been turned in shipping, like when you do to disengage the sewing to fill a bobbin. Try turning only the center part of the handwheel to try to engage the sewing.
That's a great idea! I'll get on that ASAP!
Thank you!!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Saw a 201 with potted motor in a SA store today, price is $30. I think I'll go back tomorrow and pick that up. Doesn't have any attachments or desk. Is in a plastic case, has a printed out manual. Looks real clean and only a little wear on the arm decal.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Saw a 201 with potted motor in a SA store today, price is $30. I think I'll go back tomorrow and pick that up. Doesn't have any attachments or desk. Is in a plastic case, has a printed out manual. Looks real clean and only a little wear on the arm decal.
Don't forget pictures! :mrgreen:
Old 08-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a deal on a 99K if someone wants it. I can go pick it up for you and mail it if you need me to.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/atq/2555362718.html

Billy
Billy, so many of these portables are missing the knee bar. I really haven't done a search, but is there a source to buy just the knee bar. Yes, earlier, I didn't realize that was needed and have a machine with no bar.

Lisa
Lisa I do not know of anyone that makes them but I think there is a good market for them if they wanted to. And I think there are two different sizes depending on the machine if it was a 3/4 or not.

Billy

Billy
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Uh oh. Getting the "I wants" again. Kind of makes me cranky. :lol:

(Okay, it's late, and I still have about 3 more hours of work to go, forgive the punniness).

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2554689223.html